Chapter 1 - Young Warrior

Goten ducked out of the way of his father's energy blast, feeling it singe the tips of his hair. He dropped down a little, hanging in the air just above the tree line, awaiting his father's next move.

"You ready for this one, Goten?" Goku asked, his signature smirk coming across his face.

Goten nodded, raising his fists, and prepared himself. For the sake of training, both Goten and Goku had agreed not to turn Super Saiyan, but even in his base form, Goku was still one of the most powerful people Goten had ever met.

It had been six months since the defeat of the evil Majin Buu, and while Gohan resumed his studies and went on dates with Videl, Goku and Goten had spent their time training in the forest just outside their house. Goten's power had increased significantly since they had begun, and he was sure he could almost beat Trunks now.

Goku placed two fingers on his forehead, and Goten raised his guard. In a second, Goku had totally disappeared, and Goten looked around for him in shock. Before he had time to react, Goku had reappeared in front of him and his fist was flying towards Goten's face.

Goten had no time to react, and he was hit square in the face, and was sent flying downwards. He smashed through several trees, and the splintering wood cut his body as he tried his hardest to stop himself. He ended up hitting the ground hard, leaving a small crater.

They had been training for hours on end, without a break, and Goten was at the last of his energy. He couldn't even lift himself up from the ground, so he just lay there panting, blood running from several cuts all over him.

~Goku's POV~

Goku wondered if maybe he had gone too hard on his son as he watched the dust below clear with no sign of Goten's movement. His seven year old son had grown a lot, his power had increased dramatically in the short time they had trained together. Goten didn't believe it, but he had already surpassed Gohan. He was improving at a rapid rate, and was even beginning to catch up to Goku himself.

"Goten, you okay down there son?" Goku called out.

A light came from the centre of the dust, and Goten came flying up from within. He was a Super Saiyan - he obviously needed the extra energy - and he was hanging in the air, his clothes tattered and he was bleeding. He raised his fists as if he were about to attack again. Goku raised his eyebrows.

"Hey, Goten, that's enough for today, kid. You've done great! Come on, we need to get home to your mom before she gets worried."

"No, I can... Still fight..." Goten panted.

"Come on, son! I know you're strong but even Super Saiyans need to know when enough is enough in training." Goku tried to reason with the seven year old.

Goten opened his mouth to argue, but he ran out of energy. His golden hair reverted to its usual black state, and he passed out in the air, falling to the ground. Goku rushed to catch the boy before he hit the ground. Holding his youngest son in his arms that he only met several months before for the first time, he smiled to himself.

"I'm proud of you, son."

~back at the house~

"Damn, buddy, I was hoping you would've come to by now so your mom didn't freak out as much."

With a deep breath, Goku pushed open the door. The first thing he saw was Gohan and Videl in the living room, watching the TV. They could hear Chi Chi in the kitchen preparing dinner. Videl and Gohan's expressions became alarmed upon seeing Goku come inside holding an unconscious, injured Goten.

"Dad! What-" Gohan jumped up, with Videl close behind.

"Is he okay?" Videl asked.

Videl had become quite close to the whole family since the whole incident beginning way back at the World Tournament. She and Gohan had grown close, and she had become protective of Goten like an older sister. Goku just nodded.

"He's fine, he went really hard at it today, he just needs to rest." Goku said quietly, but Chi Chi heard him anyway.

"Goku? What- OH MY GOSH WHAT DID YOU DO TO OUR SON?!" Chi Chi yelled, rushing to take Goten from Goku.

She laid him on the couch with the help of Gohan, and knelt beside it as she scanned over Goten's injuries.

"Oh, he's fine Chi Chi. Little guy's just exhausted, that's all." Goku explained, moving beside the small crowd gathering around Goten.

"You're too hard on him, Goku. He's only seven years old!" Chi Chi scolded.

"You'd be surprised what the little one can do, Chi Chi. He's very powerful. He could even hold his own against Gohan now."

"Do you mean that?" Videl asked, surprised.

"Yep," Goku nodded, "he's a tough little one. Some day he may even be stronger than me."

"Goku, you stop it right now! He's not going to be a brainless muscle-bound thug!" Chi Chi yelled.

Suddenly they all heard a noise and turned to Goten, who was beginning to stir. Chi Chi leaned down towards her beloved son.

"What was that, sweetheart?" she asked softly.

"When's dinner ready?" Goten asked, opening his eyes.

Gohan, Goku, Videl and Chi Chi laughed together as Goten sat up, confused as to what they found so funny.

"Not long now, Goten. I'll go get it ready now." Chi Chi laughed, running off to the kitchen to prepare dinner.

"He's definitely your son, dad." Gohan laughed, turning to Goku.

"He sure is." Goku smiled at his young son. "He's my little warrior."