[22] Mom And Dad

[22] Mom And Dad

"Hey Lyric?" Braxton said. I turned around, smiling at him. Tonight was a good night, even though it started out crappy.

"Yes, Braxton?" I said, softly.

"Since you and Caiden are broken up, do you want me to pick you up for homecoming? I mean as friends, not as in a couple way," He rambled.

"That'd be great," I kissed him on the cheek and he gave me a side smile. "Night Braxton."

I opened the door and walked inside, quietly shutting the door. Gage was still awake, sitting in the living room, watching t.v.

"Hey Lyric," He greeted. "What are you so happy about?" I was confused about what he was talking about, until I realized I was smiling widely.

"Well...Caiden was being a jerk to me tonight," I started.

"What?" Gage jumped up from his seat and walked out of the living room. He came back a few moments later with a bat in his hands. "What's the little punk's address? I'll kill him for being a jerk to you."

I laughed and took the bat out of Gage's hand. "He was being a jerk tonight, but don't worry, Dana smacked the shit out of him and," I dragged out the 'and' part.

"And?" He imitated me.

"I dumped him. Well it's not really official, but I'm going to dump him during the homecoming dance tomorrow," I said, happily. "Oh and Braxton is going to pick me up for the dance tomorrow."

"Awww," Gage cooed, I could feel the blood rush to my cheeks.

"As friends," I added.

"But it's like he wanted you to be his date for the dance," Gage said, smirking. It wouldn't hurt to be his date. I mean, Braxton is pretty cool. I think he'll make the dance very amusing. "I'm going to get my camera ready for tomorrow."

"No, Gage. This is homecoming, not prom," I reminded him.

"Your first and last homecoming dance. Plus you're going with Braxton. It'll be great to show your kids one day."

"Gage, god dammit. We aren't dating. We're going as friends. That's it," I waved my arms around, dramatically, then stopped off to my room.

**

I avoided Caiden at all costs. When he tried sitting next to me during lunch, I picked up my tray and sat right next to Braxton. He tried texting me and sending me notes, but I just ignored every single one of them. It's not my fault he's an asshole. If only I realized it in the beginning.

I was curling my hair, when Gage walked into the room. "Hey Lyric," He smiled sadly.

"What's wrong, Gagey?" I called him my special nickname for him.

"You're growing up. That's what," He pouted. He walked over to my desk and picked up a photo of when we were kids. Gage was about eight years old there and I barely turned five. We both had giant grins on our faces and dirt all over us. I remember that day.

**

Five year old me was running around the front yard, while Gage was chasing after me with a worm in his hand. "Stop it, Gage. That's so gross," I cringed.

"But look it's so cool," Gage exclaimed in his high pitched voice.

"That's nasty," I said, disgusted. Gage just shrugged and threw the worm back onto the floor.

"Hey Ly," Gage said. He softly shoved me and then ran away. "Tag you're it." I giggled and ran after my big brother. Just the day before, it has rained, so the grass was slippery.