Chapter 11 - Suits and the city

Cause every now and then
My love calls like a whistle
It calls like a whistle
And it's blowing your mind again...

(Hook, line & sinker) - Royal Blood)

Just like yesterday there is a crowd watching from behind metal fences, but today there's even more of them. They are shouting the names of the actors and Tom goes over in between takes to chat with his fans, give autographs and pose for pictures.

"It's sweet of you to go over every time," I tell him when I help him in his jacket again, he took it off during a break.
"Hm, well, without my fans I would not be doing what I do now."
"You have quite the fanatic fan base," I respond, thinking about what I found on the internet when I googled him some time ago.
"They're passionate, yes," Tom says with a smile.

"Do you Google yourself?" I ask, a mischievous look on my face. Some of the things I found were quite racy and definitely not suitable for work.
"No!" Tom exclaims. "I did that some years back... it was... unsettling." His slightly embarrassed look makes me laugh and I can see a sparkle returning to his eyes. "Now, Miss Kelly, did you Google me?"
"Yes I did, Mr. Hiddleston," I tell him a little provokingly.
"Saw something you like?" He looks at me expectantly, his tight lipped smile slowly getting wider.
Without thinking I say the first thing that comes to mind. "I like what I see now."

I quickly turn around, not waiting for his reaction. Taika wants to start again anyway, so the crew members all have to get out of the shot.
It's safe to joke around with Tom when other people are around, flirting like it doesn't mean anything. But I keep thinking back to early this morning. What would have happened if Ben had not come back for his toy? Would we have kissed? And what has changed now that Tom has met my son? Did anything change at all?
I voice my thoughts when I catch Paul in a quiet corner, but he has no other advice than 'time will tell'. And I guess he's right, I'll just have to wait and see.

Paul covers for me, so I can pick up my mother from the airport. I hug her tight when I see her. Mum knows all about me and Will, as we talk on the phone at least twice a week.
"What's the matter, honey?" she says, stroking my hair like I'm still a little girl.
I shrug in her embrace and force out an answer. "I don't know. Single life with a kid seems hard."
"You'll manage. If anyone can, you can." My mother lets go of me to pick up Ben, who wraps his little arms around her neck. "Besides, you've got help. I spoke to Monica last sunday and she will continue to look after Ben as she did before."

I'm surprised to hear she called Monica.

"Of course, honey. I wanted to wish her good luck with the surgery. And your break up with William effects us too, you know. We're the grandparents of this marvellous child." She gives Ben a big blowkiss, which makes him all giddy in her arms. "Come, let's go. I'm sure they are waiting for you at work."

Mum is excited to see my workplace and the people I work with. And she loves seeing Paul again, as they always have fun together, even though she doesn't see him that often.
They are shooting a scene so we have to be quiet, something that doesn't really comply with a three year old. Like most kids, Ben can't whisper. "Mummy? Why is Loki in a toilet?" His little voice carries over the almost silent film set and I quickly shush him. Luckily the scene was just about done and Taika isn't satisfied, so they have to do it again anyway. Tom manages to pop off a button of his jacket and I step in with the extra jacket, having left Ben with my mom.

"Hey, you're back already," Tom says a little surprised when I help him switch the garments.
"Hmhm, missed me?" I humm, meanwhile looking around at the floor to see if I can spot the missing button. I wasn't really expecting an answer to my rhetorical question, but I also wasn't expecting the look Tom gives me when I look up from the floor. He almost looks pained, or conflicted. It makes me want to put my arms around him and kiss the pain away, right next to this mobile toilet on a crowded film set. Of course I know better than to act on that thought. Suddenly I spot the button next to Tom's feet, so I pick it up and flash him a quick smile before I make my way back to the area behind the camera's.