chapter 8

“Fitz how was dinner? Maybe next week I will be able to make it. I have missed seeing your parents and Biana” Sophie said as she came in and gave Fitz a kiss before heading into the kitchen to grab some food. “What do you want to do this weekend? I was thinking we could go to the coast.”

“It was good, I brought you a plate of mallowmelt it is in the fridge.”

“Mallowmelt!?!” Sophie squealed. “Oh no, what's wrong? Is it time to move again?”

Fitz and Sophie were on a special assignment from the council to live secretly in the Forbidden Cities, they had been there since they got married. Because of their lack of aging by human standards they had to move and assume new identities every 10-15 years or so and the time was getting close. The assignment had also kept them from starting a family and working human jobs made it harder for them to visit the Lost Cities for extended periods of time.

It was probably for the best since outside from their families there wasn't much for them there. They hadn't ever built their own house rather just switched from Everglen and Havenfield when they visited. Sophie had always shunned the attention she received after being “human girl” “the girl who was taken” “talentless” “fugitive” or “hero” and Fitz just wanted to be with Sophie, it didn't matter where. It was easier for them to be in the human world and Fitz now had a whole new appreciation for how to best help them.

They had spent time in Washington DC, had worked with the Royal Family in England, the president in France, all over Africa working on animal preserves (that had been Sophie's favorite and reminded her of home), environmentalists in China and India and even did a short stint in Norway by Forkle’s wanderling. Now they were in New York working at the UN hoping to inspire new ideas and build relationships using their special talents. Sophie's skills as a polyglot were invaluable and she was the most sought after translator, not to mention she was able to eavesdrop telepathically and help sway thoughts.

Fitz spent his day escorting world leaders, they were amazed at his conversational fluency in many languages. Many world leaders enjoyed the young couple and would often invited Sophie and Fitz to visit their home countries with them.  Fitz was fine that his schedule was not as grueling as Sophie’s because it gave him a chance to slip back to Everglen more to visit his family.

But the weekends were his favorite time, when they weren't traveling they would often spend the entire day walking through parks, holding hands and talking. They would share stories from work and create stories about the lives of the random people they would pass. If the weather was chilly or they had a hard week they would stay in and cuddle and watch the classic movies Sophie had grown up with in San Diego. It was a perfect life in the Forbidden Cities but something was missing and the pull for home was growing.

He had even thought of asking the council to bring them back to the lost cities so they could start their family, he knew that they had the eternities together but seeing the shortness of life in the human world made him anxious to get back. He just wasn't sure how Keefe would vote or how Sophie would feel about going back. Maybe tomorrow's reunion would give him better insight.

“Nothing's wrong and I haven't heard anything from the council about moving yet. My mom sent it, I think she is trying to lure us back, she hinted at wanting a grandchild sooner or later. But Biana did ask me something at dinner.”

“Oh,” was all Sophie could get out, her mouth full of mallowmelt.

“Yes she had lunch with Tam.”

Sophie's eyes grew at the surprise that the two were meeting up and wondered if there was more to the story.

“Linh has something she wants to share with everyone. They are all meeting tomorrow at Calla's panakes at sunrise. I said I would go but wasn't sure if you would be able to make it,” Fitz said. It was easier to just get it out quickly, he and Sophie were cognates and after all these years he had a hard time keeping most thoughts private when they were alone. She just seemed to always know what Fitz was thinking. He would pick up on things occasionally but Sophie's blocking still helped her out.

“Did she know what Linh wants to share, it must be big to need everyone there,” Sophie said as she made her way over to the couch to sit by Fitz. His arm reached out and brought her in close to him. The natural way she fit next to him always brought comfort, it was as if they were two puzzle pieces that clicked into place. He could sense the dread that came across her and softly transmitted,

I’m not going to let anything happen to you”

“Do you think they all still hate us?” She said as she looked up into his eyes the look in her own causing panic to ripple through his body.