I think I'm in trouble

Mom tossed Rain a warning glance from across the table she helped set.

"I work as a community officer for a tech company."

"Cool. I bet the pay's pretty awesome."

"I can't complain."

Her father listened without looking up.

Lincoln took a sip from his Corona. "Which tech company?"

Sigh. How was she supposed to answer?

"Crowd."

Father took a big sip from his new Corona. "She's bright, you know, although she didn't graduate from an Ivy League college.

"Ivy League colleges are overpriced brand labels."

Now Lincoln took a sip from his beer, probably confused about the ongoing family tension.

Mom said, "Sanchez and Lizzie will be late by fifteen minutes."

Yes, yes, triple-yes.

At least two people she was going to connect with.

"Want a beer?" Taylor asked.

"Sure."

He looked at the label of his bottle. "Gluten-free, I think."

Dad chuckled. So much for the harmless Have A Good Time.

Rain forced her lips awkward but felt bad for faking it. Just because it was her father's birthday didn't mean she had to pretend to be another person.

"Come on everyone," mom said as she presented the table.

The food looked delicious.

Enchiladas, guacamole, pieces of local mixed-grain bread, served with Diet Coke, fresh orange juice and a few arctic-cold beers with lime and chili. Everything was prepared with love.

Rain cherished the salad and the Corona when Lincoln went political again. "You're from Santa Kahlo, right?"

"Mmmm."

"Looks like a civil war over there. Damn thugs are tearing the city apart."

"Most districts are fairly safe," Rain said in a diplomatic tone.

"Thanks to the metro police," her father said. "If Diego wins again, and I hope he does, he's got to double the budget. Give the police more firepower."

Rain counted down the minutes for Sanchez to arrive.

Lincoln focused on Rain while gulping down yet another Corona. "Who are you voting for?"

Rain flicked a glance at mom, sitting opposite, to the right. She silently shook her head. How was Rain supposed to stay quiet when the guest kept coming back to non-birthday friendly topics?

"I'm still thinking about it," she said, which was a lie. So she transitioned to the truth. "I doubt whoever gets to be mayor won't change much anyways. The establishment will preserve the status quo."

"Ahhh," Lincoln said. "You're one of them Red Blockers, eh? Saw a couple of vids where they set cars on fire and hit old people with baseball bats."

"Santa Kahlo's a nest," her father said. "Hope God Emperor Diego wins and wipes out the mess."

Mom filled Rain's glass with fresh orange juice and winked. A not-so-subtle hint for telling her to keep quiet about political issues.

"I just try to worry about the issues I can directly impact," Rain said. "Hoping for some savior to rescue you is pointless."