28

Hunk opened the cafe with a dull Pidge by his side. Her eyes had shadows under them and her face was contorted into a seemingly permanent frown. Hunk found it amusing, but still felt he should try cheer her up. 

"Come on Pidge, it's only one week! Plus, there's a new employee starting today so your shifts and Lance's shifts will be reduced." Hunk hummed. 

Pidge perked up. "A new guy?" Pidge asked.

Hunk nodded. "His name was a weird one, but he just moved in a while ago and his mother isn't home much so he says he wanted to get out of his apartment." Hunk shrugged, taking out a picture and showing Pidge. She recognized him.

"Oh, he was in my high school. He's lived here before but left a few months before graduation." Pidge stated, pointing to the picture but looking at Hunk. Hunk simply hummed at the information. "So how did you even get this picture?" Pidge asked. 

"Like a ninja." Hunk winked, doing a strange pose. "I saw this in a show. It's a ninja pose."

Pidge raised her eyebrow. "You just look like a lopsided flamingo." Hunk pouted, the two of them beginning to laugh together. Pidge tied on her lime apron and Hunk his lemon colored one. Only a few minutes later did a short boy run in, his hair a mess and his face pink. 

"I'm sorry I'm late I-" He doubled over, grasping his knees and wheezing to catch his breath. "I got lost."

Hunk smiled and waved his hand. "It's fine,I'm not too picky with tardiness unless it's in Pidge's case where you just don't wanna show up." Hunk looked down to Pidge who flashed her boyfriend a toothy grin.

The boy furrowed his brows. "i recognize that name." He hummed.

Pidge smiled and slapped the boy's shoulder. "We were lab partners, remember I was the only reason you passed that class?" Pidge beamed. 

The boy'slips curled up and he smiled brightly. "Pidge! Katie right! I remember now. Your hair used to be so long!"  He pointed to the mass of short hair on Pidge's hair. 

"Yeah, I can't say the same for you. Yours must be at least to your chin by now. You had none in high school!" Pidge joked. 

"Pidge, can you show Klaizap the way around here, I need to sort out some files." Hunk spoke. 

Pidge smiled and nodded. "Sure thing, this way Klaizap." Pidge gestures for Klaizap to follow her as they made their way into the back of the cafe. Hunk had furnished the back eventually, now having a coffee table, two couches, a pool table and a stereo. It wasn't much but enough to entertain the small amount of staff. She then showed Klaizap the basics of making coffee and serving tables before showing where he could put his things while working like Pidge put her bags when she was in school. There were small lockers in the break room, only six but there used to be only three working in the cafe. She handed him a chocolate colored apron before heading to turn the sign hanging on the door of the cafe. Klaizap sat down on one of the stools behind the desk, Pidge heading over to join him. 

"How're things with your family?" Pidge asked.

Klaizap sighed and folded him arms. He rested his chin on the arms, propping himself on the counter."Alright I guess. I don't talk much to my parents but it's not like I need to... or can." He spoke dully. "How about you?"

Pidge smiled. "Matt just moved out." Pidge said. 

Klaizap perked slightly. "Really? When?"

Pidge thought back. "I don't know, maybe a month ago? The guy who's shifts I'm taking-" Klaizap raised a brow, "it was a forfeit to a competition-" He nodded, "It's his roommate's brother. My brother's been dating a guy called Shiro for years now."