Chapter Three

Ares' POV

I didn't move. I couldn't understand why they couldn't get such simple instructions. I already had the plan laid out for them. It was as if they had their other routine that was taken from someone else.

The mission was slowly being sabotaged and I can't risk any more lives to be at stake. Yes, I'm no one to these men but a Lieutenant with glasses. Who wears glasses anyways these days? And aren't Lieutenants supposed to be a high rank? Doesn't that give me the right to command these guys? I'm pretty sure they're obliged to do what I say. I don't know, I'm sorry; I'm just not too interested with these things. Simply talking about it is already giving me a headache.

But give me a battle blueprint, or a strategic assault I'm the man you're looking for. When it comes to research, as long as it is within the field of my interest, which is mostly about genetic engineering or biological enhancements, you'll need me.

Anyway, that's not the point. I'm getting way off topic.

What's important is, we're still on track. The men they've dispatched... Let's just say we've lost a number of good men today. And it wouldn't have to be like this if only they listened to me.

Pardon my manners, where have they gone. My name is Ares Portley, the child prodigy of this institution. I'm actually just a scientist whose nose is supposed to be buried behind computer screens. But I'm not. I know I'm supposed to, but there really is nothing that they can do about. I guess it is one of the many advantages for being the asset of the company.

I don't remember exactly how long I've been with the ARC, or the Amalgamated Research Constitution, but I've been around way before I hit puberty. My life before that just comes to me as a blur, so yes, it's pretty horrible to have no idea of what your childhood is like before you begin working as a minor. But I guess that's just how life hands it to me.

Recently, we've created a state-of-the art Software that can better reprogram our soldiers that have gone rogue. It was called, the Rubrix. I named and designed the concept. Everyone laughed at me at first, but as I ignored them and went about with my research alone our Head Researcher looked into my work and thank goodness he realized the potential of my work and finally, after all these years, decided to take it as a new project for the whole institution. I'm not normally cocky when it comes to these but look whose laughing now!

As I was saying, for a project that would take for almost a decade for me to finish, it was now narrowed down to ten weeks. And at the end of the week, what we needed now was a guinea pig.

Before I go into further details, I would like to explain to you further as to what inspired me to begin this research. I had, with me, a notebook containing some unfinished research work as I stepped into ARC. It was the only thing that gave me a position in the institution.  I'm not exactly sure why or how I had the notebook with me, but I just did. Like, how you would normally walk to school with a random stain on your shirt, you never knew how it got there, but there it is anyway.

Sadly enough, I don't even remember why they--the ARC-- took me in either. I guess I'm just lucky that they did. They told me I was an orphan, and that my dad was once a great scientist and died in a freak accident when one of his own works backfired on him. No one told me exactly why, but I had his notebook with me, I was talking about it earlier, remember? This became the reason why I decided to continue the research. Maybe somehow, I'll remember bits of my past and more of my dad. I don't know, but it's still worth a shot.

Dad designed this program called the Neurovascular Invasive Electronic System, which is basically an enhancer to the human body system, composed of millions of micrometer plasma robots programmed to connect to the cerebellum igniting neurons to specifically supplement movement, posture and balance while some also gather to the brain stem to regulate the basic life support of the body. The rest floods down to the spine or the muscles, but mostly surrounding our cells since that’s where most of the magic in our body begins. Did I ever mention that they prefer to situate themselves along long bones since that’s where most cell formation takes place? But that’s another boring story I’m sure you guys aren’t interested in listening to.