Imagine 14 (part 2)

"When you say that the gates won't let me go," you began hesitantly, "what do you mean?"

The Beast lashed a tail you hadn't noticed nervously. "There is only one reliable way to break curses," he said. "And with the castle being steeped in magic for so long, it's developed something of a mind of its own, and will only let people who can break the curse inside."

"So you think I can break your curse?" You scoffed, shaking your head. "Okay, how do I do it?"

The Beast looked at you with sad eyes. "I wish I didn't have to pressure you like this," he blurted. "But, y/n, will you marry me?"

Panic seized you, making your heart skip a beat. "I-I can't," you gasped, stumbling back against the door.

"I understand," the Beast said softly. "Please ignore what I said."

He turned so he was in profile, allowing you to see him more clearly.

He was huge; but his bulk was mostly concealed by rich clothes and a long blue velvet cape. His face resembled that of a tiger's, save for his human eyes and expressions.

"Y/n," he murmured. "I wish I could let you go."

"How long has the castle been cursed?" you asked that evening.

Jeonghan hummed in thought as he flitted around the room, mindlessly tidying tables and tweaking cushions. "About eight years. Master Seokmin was thirteen years old at the time."

"How does no one remember that there was a prince living in this castle?" you continued. "People tell stories about the abandoned castle, everyone my age and younger knows it."

"That's a part of the curse," another servant called from where he was by the bookcases. "Everyone thinks that the castle's been abandoned for years."

You raised one eyebrow. "So what happens if the curse gets broken?"

The boy smiled softly. "When the curse is broken, everyone will remember."

"Don't pressure her, Seungkwan," Jeonghan chastised gently. "It's lady y/n's own choice whether she lifts the curse or not, and we can't change her mind by force."

He hesitated for a brief second. "And, my lady, don't feel guilty if it turns out that you can't lift the curse. We'll live, never fear."

Yet another identically dressed young man entered, bowing deeply. "Master Seokmin would like to invite lady y/n to dine with him," he said, his deep voice soft. "If you're willing, milady, I'll take you to your room to get dressed."

"I have a room?"

"Since you aren't able to leave..." the young man said wryly, arching an eyebrow behind his mask. "Yes, you have your own room."

"No need to be so sharp, Wonwoo," Jeonghan scolded, tapping the other on the head with the handle of the feather duster he'd picked up somewhere. "Y/n has been through much in the past day."

"Are you coming?" Wonwoo inquired, rubbing his head.

"Sure," you muttered. "Why not."

Twenty minutes later, you found yourself sitting at the head of a huge table with the Beast on your right.

"Are you going to eat?" you asked, glancing at the empty space in front of him.

The Beast smiled slightly. "No; I'm not exactly the cleanest of eaters now, and I don't want to scare you."

"It's not going to scare me," you lied. To be honest, even being in the same room as him was terrifying, but you weren't going to tell him that. "Go ahead and eat."