Chapter 3 - Greek Mythology

I walked as fast as I could to get to my next class, not wanting to get kicked out - I know, how can she get kicked out by being late? Well let me tell you, when you're me, you get kicked out for just being there when something bad happens. I should know from my many, many years of experience. Luckily, I didn't get lost. That was a first.

Everyone quickly took their seats as the bell went. I looked around the classroom for a spare seat and I saw one next to that Grover kid. Percy was sat at the other side of the class. It must have been some seating plan or something. Grover motioned me over so I walked over to the seat next to him and sat down.

"Now, today we are learning about the twelve Gods of Olympus. Can anyone name them?" Mr. Bourne asked as his eyes scanned the room, Okay, this answer was mine! I love the greek Gods.

I slowly put my hand up.

"Umm..." Mr. Bourne looked at the files on his desk. He was probably looking to see what my name was. "Yes, Taylor."

"There's Zeus, Poseidon, Demeter, Hera, Hestia, Ares, Athena, Apollo, Aphrodite, Hermes, Artemis and Hephaestus." Grover looked at me shocked.

"Very good Taylor. I'm surprised since its your first time in this class." I smiled then Mr. Bourne continued with teaching the lesson.

"What was that?" Grover whispered, shock still covered his face.

"I'm just into Greek mythology." I replied bluntly. There was silence between Grover and I for a good fifteen minutes. Until Grover broke the comfortable silence. Silence is definately golden when you're me.

"By any chance are you dyslexic?" Grover blurted out. What the heck? He can't just blurt out questions like that in the middle of class!

"Why you asking?" I asked back. I love replying to questions with a question. It pisses people off so much.

"Just wondering." Grover muttered. Great. I've scared someone away on my first day. Why do I always push people away? The rest of class went by pretty quickly and I only had two classes left until lunch where I would be able to go out and get a Starbucks or something.

----------2 LESSONS LATER----------

It was finally lunch. The time where I would be able to get out of this hell hole for at least 40 minutes. Or as the school timetable says, 1 hour.

I walked out of the building that I would soon grow to hate and saw that there was a Starbucks across the street. Whilst I walked up to the traffic lights, I got out my iPod and plugged in my headphones.

'Say goodbye to the halls and the classes. Say hello to a job and the taxes. Weekends with old friends spilling into nine-to-five routine. Tell me how you feel over and done with. Like your life is a map with no compass to guide, at the bar drinking way too much we sing along to forever young.'

Somewhere In Neverland by All Time Low blared through my ears as I got closer and closer to the perfect coffee smell that was Starbucks. There wasn't that many people lined up, actually. I would have thought that since Yancy Academy was only 20-30 metres away. There was only about two people in front of me. One, I recognized from my English class, and the other, I hadn't even seen before - I don't think so anyways. All I could see was the back of his head.

"May I take your order?" The blonde waitress I recognized as Rebekah said.

"Hey, Rebekah. Can I have a caramel creme?" Rebekah laughed as she knew that I always get a caramel creme whenever I go to Starbucks.

"Okay," she wrote my name on the plastic cup. "Beth, can I take a break?"

"Yeah, sure." A voice said from the back. Rebekah grabbed my newly made drink and we sat at a table next to the window. I took a sip of the freezing cold caramel flavoured drink (I don't like hot drinks) and looked at Rebekah. Something seemed different about her. The door swung open before any of us could say anything and there stood Maddie. She looked like she'd been running. Percy and Grover came running in seconds after, breathing heavily.

"Tay, come here." Maddie shouted. Talk about making a scene.

"What? Why?" I replied.

"Look, Tay, I-we don't have time for this! Just come here!" Maddie shouted again.

"You." Rebekah growled. I turned to her and what I saw horrified me. Her eyes were now a dark, bloody red colour and her teeth had sharpened to different sized points. Instantly, I jumped up and ran towards Maddie.

"A fury." Percy said. I looked at him with confusion, still in shock with what I had just saw.

"Run." Maddie shouted.

"No! I can't leave you!" I shouted back. I tried to run towards Maddie and pull her away from the fury that was supposed to be my best friend Rebekah but I was pulled back by Percy and Grover and dragged out of Starbucks. I wonder why nobody tried to help. I mean, yeah, if you saw that - which I and I assume, many others did - you would be too scared. But everyone just went on with their daily lives like nothing was happening.

Just as Rebekah slashed Maddie with her claws that I didn't even know she had, Percy pulled a golden pen out of his jean pocket and bolted back into Starbucks. Grover took me around the corner so I wouldn't see anything worse than what I had already saw and I felt my eyes fill with water. No, I could not cry. Not here. Not in front of Grover. Or anyone, for that matter. Maddie has only seen my cry once and she is my (step)sister. Rebekah hasn't even seen me cry, Crying is for the weak and I don't want people thinking that I've gone soft.

Grover was looking around frantically in case more furies came for us. Minutes later, Percy came out of Starbucks with an injured Maddie and sat her down on the ground so that she was leaning against the wall.

"She needs ambrosia." Percy muttered. "Could you see if there is some in my backpack?" Grover reached into Percy's backpack and pulled out a square of what I was guessing was ambrosia (whatever that was.) Grover handed the ambrosia to Maddie and she ate it. I was still in too much shock to say anything about all of this. Even if I was going to say anything, I wouldn't know where to start. I had about a thousand questions tearing through my mind. such as; 'what in Hades just happened?' 'Where's Rebekah?' 'How did Percy, Grover and Maddie know where to find me?' 'How did Maddie get out of school to come help me?'

"Hey! Tay!" Maddie clicked her fingers in front of my face and I looked at her to see that she was completely fine. She was now standing up, and she could walk properly without any help.

"Huh?" I replied as I came back to reality. Well, some sort of reality. To be honest, I don't really know what's fiction and what's real life after today.

"You zoned out." Percy said in a monotone voice. "Come on, we need to find Chiron."