Chapter 5

Chapter 5

“Are you sure about this?” I asked Aaron.

“I’m sure,” he replied, grinning at me.

We’d been at the diner, up until Aaron came up with a ‘brilliant idea’, as he had called it.

Now, we were staring down at a river. We were on the sidewalk, on top of a bridge. Aaron was telling me we should go for a swim. I didn’t mind that part so much. What was bothering was the jump we had to do from the bridge down to the river.

“It’ll be fine, I’ve done it before,” he said, holding out his hand for me to take. I took his hand, but that didn’t make me feel any better.

It was past midnight, so no cars were passing by. Even if they did, I doubted they would notice us.

Aaron began taking off his shoes, and putting his wallet next to them. When he took off his shirt and pants, I realized he wasn’t kidding.

“What if someone comes and steals your things?” I asked him.

“They won’t,” he replied, shrugging.

“How can you be so sure?”

“I’m not, but I’m just thinking they won’t and that makes me feel better,” he said, smiling at me.

I looked down at the river. It was calm, but that didn’t make it look any less deadly.

“I’m not a good swimmer,” I admitted.

He looked deep into my eyes. Now that he wasn’t wearing a shirt, his eyes had shifted to a different color. It was dimly lit outside, since there was only one street lamp at the end of the bridge.

“I’ll hold you,” he said. The way he said it made my heart skip a beat.

He convinced me to move to the other side of the rail. Even as I stood there, holding on to the bars for dear life, I felt relieved that Aaron was next to me.

“Now!” Aaron yelled, jumping off. I was holding his hand and he managed to drag me along with him.

I didn’t really feel much on the way down. The wind was attacking my face all the way, until we hit the water. Aaron hadn’t let go, so when we landed in the water, we both sunk down.

I’d been holding my breath, but I still drank water and some of it went up through my nose.

I would’ve stayed underwater if Aaron hadn’t pulled me up.

“Are you okay?” He asked me, putting his hand around my waist. He was softly propelling his other hand on the water.

I nodded, looking up at the bridge we had just been on.

“The water’s cold,” I told him, my teeth slightly chattering.

Aaron smiled, nodding his head.

When he was sure I wouldn’t sink down, he let go of me. He was swimming in the water on his own. First, he did a few laps without purpose. Then, he began floating on his back, keeping his gaze on the bright moon in the sky.

I didn’t move from where I was. I could only stare at Aaron, as he moved around the water.   

By the time we got out, it was already 3 in the morning. My body felt exhausted. I’d woken up early and it was already really late.

When we were finished getting dressed, we headed back to the city. I had just taken a few steps, when I felt Aaron wrap his hand around mine. He intertwined our fingers, looking up at me. I knew he was waiting for me to object. When I didn’t, he smiled and we continued walking.