Chapter 2-Aequalitas

Aequalitas

“In our world, Vantis, we have three races, the Aeternus, Mortalis, and Unitium,” a tall, young woman in a black, classy dress addresses to a class. Her smooth caramel skin matches her velvet voice, putting half the kids to sleep and the rest of the class on the brink. The room has a subtle warm to it, not helping the kids who want to stay up, and its dull white color made it an even duller lesson. The chalk board up front behind the teacher’s long, wooden desk, had each races name side by side one another.

”Each of them has a different quality and two have come together to create a union. The Unitium are the original race of our planet.” While she speaks she paces back and forth of the board. “As time has gone on, they have also split into two other races through certain events in history, which you will learn more about in a later class. Now here is your homewo-,“ and right before she can finish her words a bell rings signifying the end of the day. “Well it is the end of class; please study the attributes of the races because we will have a test in five days!” Right then, all the children come out of their seats, pus them back into the desks, and leave the classroom in an orderly fashion.

Once all the children were out of class and out of the school, Daemonium runs up to Angelus who is already engrossed in his text book, prepared to mess the heck out of him. “Aeternus is …,” Angelus reads to himself, as they walk on the usual path home, a white, granite sidewalk.

 “Angelus!” Daemonium interrupts. He doesn’t lift his eyes from his book as Daemonium comes up. “Hey, hey did you notice the new kid?”

 “…a race, born artificially due to…”

“I heard he has a disease where he’s sick a lot!” Daemonium barely prevails to peak Angelus’ interest.

 “But, wasn’t he an Aeternus?” asks Angelus, closing his book.

 “For someone who studies so much you sure miss the important parts. An Aeternus can be diseased but there’s like a 0.01% chance of it.”

 “I see..,” says Angelus as he delves back into his book.

 “Man, sometimes I don’t ever think you’ll make another friend.” Ignoring him, Angelus continues to walk the path with him, reading. Then, he trips and falling to the side of the walkway, flat on his face. He gets to a sitting position, wiping the pebbles off his face, and then checks if anything’s broken.

“Angelus, are you alright?” Daemonium says shocked and confused. “Yes, I’ll be fine. But what did I…” And then they hear a soft moan and notice the boy on the ground, coughing as he tries to pick himself up. “Are you alright?” Angelus asks the boy, reaching out his arm. The boy doesn’t answer then coughs up some blood. Daemonium takes a closer look at his face and yells “It’s the new student!” The boys light green hair shakes violently each times the boy hacks up blood. Angelus’ picks up the boy immediately and puts him on his back. “Daemonium, you go get an adult. I will run him to the hospital.” “Ok ok, now go go go!” They both run off in different directions.

The night comes silently as everyone is in the hospital by the time the double moon comes up. The boy rests on a large bed in beige sheets at the right side of a room as Angelus looks over him in a chair next to the bed. The room is chilly, with a creepy air of uncertainty. It’s been nearly hour since he came out of emergency care, Angelus thinks. When will they come? Just then, Lux walks in with another man who runs over to the child. “Aequalitas!” the man screams out. “My son!”

 Lux walks over to Angelus who is still staring at the boy. “You did very good, son. But, this hospital is in the United Kingdom of Mortalis, which is at least 30 kilometers from your school. How did you get here so fast?”