0.4 Twenty questions

————

Y/n's POV
11:34 am

Grayson pulled the truck to a stop nearby some woods.
"Where are we? Are you planning to kill me?" I laugh , despite being deadly serious in the back of my mind. I don't even know Grayson, so I don't know why I asked to go with him in the first place.
"I haven't decided that yet" He gets out his bronco with a smirk on his face. I nervously laugh before I also get out and follow him into the woods that were a few miles away from the school. He guides me to an old tree that grew on top of a cliff that gave us an exquisite view of the town. I sit next to him but make sure I don't sit too close in case I touch his freezing body.
"I found this spot a few weeks ago, it helps me calm down and think" he says, looking at the view as the gentle breeze brushes his hair in front of his face.
"I can see why, it's beautiful" I smile, looking out to the school. Students who were late to class quickly shuffled to next period and teachers who had meetings speed walked into the building, their cups of coffee spilling every time they took a step. Something about the tiny blobs of people made me laugh, seeing how they rushed around like their lives depended on it.
"I'm surprised you are skipping, I mean it's your first day" I look at Grayson, who seemed to be staring at me for the hundredth time today. He doesn't say anything and continues to stare.
"You talk a lot, don't you?" I chuckle awkwardly, resting my hand on the soft grass beneath me.
"I'm trying to figure you out, you are confusing to me?" He quietly says.
"Why would you need to?" I question, returning my eyes back to his face.
"I shouldn't be doing this, so I'm trying to see if you are worth it?"
"What do you mean? Just because you're gorgeous and I'm just a nerd who only has three friends" I mentally slap myself once I registered what I had just blurted out to this boy.
"No, you wouldn't understand" he gives me half-smile and looks back into the distance.
"Let's just say I'm not like you" he mutters loud enough for me to hear. I decide not to say anything and close my eyes, listening to the birds that chirped in the trees.
"Why don't we play twenty questions?" I open my eyes.
"I suppose we can do that" I reply to Gray, turning to face him.
"I'll start, what do you want to do when you grow up?" He looks at me intently.
"That's a strange question to begin with, but okay" I say before continuing, "I want to be a psychologist and help people with their problems"
"You like to help people?" He asks.
"I suppose, I just try to make everyone feel valued in life. Okay, so who do you live with?"
"I live with my twin brother Ethan, my older sister Cameron, my mom and dad"
"Do you get along with your sister?"
"We try, but it's too hard to resist pranking her all the time" He laughs.
"I wish I had a sibling, it's just me, my mum and my step dad Gary" I sigh.
"Do you like Gary?" He questions.
"He's a good person who loves my mum a lot, so I have I have no reason to dislike him. I just miss my Dad a lot"
"Where's you Dad?"
"He lives back in England with his fiancé, Jenna. Ever since she gave birth to their child, Dad kind of stopped calling me, almost like he only cared for the new baby." Tears prick the back of my eyes but I blink them away before I cry in front of Grayson.
"I'm sorry" he whispers. I give him a weak smile and check my phone which I retrieve from my back pocket.
"It's already 2? Maybe I should go back?" I say.
"Yeah, lets go" Gray stands up and we walk to the car.

*************************************************

S C H O O L

Me and Grayson speed walk towards our science lesson. Turns out we have a lot of the same lessons.
"How kind of you to join us, y/n. Who's this?" Miss Clarkson gestures to Grayson.
"This is Grayson, he's new" I turn to Gray and sit down in my seat.
"Welcome to science, Grayson. I'm Miss Clarkson. There's a seat next to y/n that you can sit in" she smiles.
Why is there always an empty seat next to me?
"Where have you been, y/n?" Nia whispers to me, who was sat on the other side of me.
"No where" I whisper back and return my eyes to the board that Miss Clarkson was writing on.

————