Chapter 4: Intruder

Complete stillness

I don't move a single inch as the creature slithers closer and closer before stopping at his feet.

My vision is deeply hindered by the darkness of this damp cage, but I can feel more than see Cyron unlocking the door and allowing the... thing to intrude my space.

My lips tremble, my hands now locked in front of me still does nothing to aid in my peril.

I back up as far as I can, listening as it slithers closer and closer before it finally makes its contact.

"Be quick about it. There's not much time now." Cyron quips acting nonchalant.

He doesn't even look my way as this thing latches onto me, it's slimy body wrapping around my arm, making its way up until it's at my jawline.

My whole body shakes as I whimper, scared for my life as I feel a slimy tickle over my mouth, trying to remain still, lest I die here and now.

I feel it sliding up my nose like a snake, latching on before a cerulean glow appears beneath my closed eyelids and a pain worse than that of Cyron's intrusion explodes inside my mind.

"No!" I scream, trying to shake it away, trying to dislodge the intrusion from my mind but it won't let go and I see a blinding light flash before my eyes as I fall to the ground writhing, unable to control my body as it seizes.

I hear a scream in the back of my mind, Cyran barging through the doors, hands reaching for the creature.

"Avo!" He screams as his black cloud swirls out, filling the small space in a matter of moments before I'm pressed to the ground.

I don't hear anything after that, all noice passing through me in a haze as I slowly drift into an oblivion of black.

⚜️⚜️⚜️

When I finally awake, I'm in a soft white bed almost like my own and I could almost believe it was all a dream, almost believe Torin is waiting for me to start a morning lesson, if it weren't for Thalon's tall structure standing guard beside the bedroom door.

My hands feel numb, my body still weakened by the loss of magyk, still making me feel nauseated.

I am tied down, on my back, my hands lay relaxed on either side of my head, cuffs around my wrists.

I look at my veins, the way a glowing swirl of cerulean  drifts beneath the surface, the feeling of comfort sliding against my cheek, my very being before it's interrupted by the slam of a door.

Thalon is gone, replaced by someone I never thought I would see in this situation.

"Filarion-" my voice is raw, scratchy, I can hardly get the name out before he stops me.

"Sister," he moves closer, close enough that I don't have to crane my neck to look at him. He unties my hands, helping me up, but I feel a violence to him that he is keeping a tight leash on. He doesn't quite seem like himself, no matter how caring he may seem. "You've been away for quite some time."

He hands me a glass of water, which I don't think twice about guzzling, the cuffs still heavy on my wrists scrape against the sore skin underneath , but at least I have free range of motion.

"What are you doing here?" I croak out, the pain in my head still smarting from the intrusion against my brain.

"Funny you should ask." His voice lilts almost musically as he sits beside me like we used to do as children. I automatically scoot over to make room, still weary. "I've been- I guess you would call insurance."

My heart freezes.

"When you decided to run, father had no choice but to bargain with the Daihorns and guess what, now that your back safe and sound I can finally go home!" He smiles oddly, patting my leg before standing.

"You know, you should really be careful. Cyron has been very anxious and I've only heard about the things he does once he becomes truly angry. I can't always be your scapegoat and next time father might really turn into an oathbreaker."

I feel cold as ice as he continues to talk, leaning against the door frame casually, on the outside no different than usual, but his words could freeze a lake as they drift into the atmosphere, clogging up my heart, tears flowing to my eyes.

He seems to be dissecting me, watching my every move as he continues on. "You know, I'm not sure why they wanted you so badly, father had already given them what they wanted in the first place."

"And what's that?" I whisper.

"Our army, rights to our land. They hardly need you to make an equal front any longer."

It starts to click in place now, the reason my brothers didn't try to intrude on Cyron's war party as we crossed their lands. Why would they attack a person walking across his own lands?

"What makes you so special anyways?" He asks not seeming to want an actual answer, just musing aloud As he knocks on the door.

It opens to Thalon and my brother smiles as he passes by. "See you later."

But as he walks away and the door slams once again, I have a feeling that I won't see him any time soon.

^ Filarion

^ Filarion