fourteen

It was five am in the Byers' house, and none of the kids or their "helpful" babysitter Steve had been able to make much progress with Mike.

Joyce and Hopper had stumbled in around 4:45, telling them to "get to bed, we'll figure it out in the morning", and everyone had greatly obliged.

Well, everyone that is, except for Max Mayfield.

And Mike Wheeler.

He didn't know it, but Max was awake, the house quiet and empty, and Max's fingernails chewed raw from anxiety.

She was supposed to be in bed. But how the fuck were you supposed to sleep when your boyfriend– was he even her boyfriend? They had never had the time to get around to that.

Fuck.

She rose off the couch, and without really thinking about it, headed towards the living room, her feet padding across the floor of the house as she peered inside and saw Mike sitting up on the couch, staring at the floor, and looking as if he was struggling with some internal battle.

She took a creaky step inside, and his head shot up.

Mike's eyebrows narrowed. "What are you doing in here?" He snapped.

Max crossed the length of the room and sat down beside him, leaving space between his leg and her's.

"I came to see if you were okay." She answered softly, and he snorted.

"I don't need your help."

Max pressed her lips together, tears pricking at the backs of her eyes. "This isn't you, Mike. You have to fight it, goddamn it!"

Her hand shot out and slipped inside his, which was clammy, and when he tried to jerk away, she clung on tighter.

"Mike, please." She whispered, and he turned his head to look at her, something brewing in his eyes as his hand relaxed every so slightly in her's.

And then, Max swallowed hard around the lump in her throat, tugged his hand slightly so his head moved barely inches from her's, and kissed him.

She felt him stiffen, and before he could yank away her arms were trailing up his navy blue hoodie and wrapping them around his neck as her eyes closed.

And then, she felt him start to tremble, and a roaring began in her ears as a hard wind hit her squarely in the face, whipping her hair, and she clutched Mike, not thinking to tear her lips from his because she couldn't. This could be her only chance to save him.

And the fucking Mind Flayer would have to pack its ass up and get the fuck out of Hawkins.

And suddenly, the roaring died down.

The wind stop whooshing.

And Max's fingers loosened off of Mike's hoodie as she breathlessly pulled her lips away from his, and met his eyes.

"M-Mike?" She asked, sucking in gaspy air through her lungs, her arms still around him, their faces inches apart.

His eyes sliced into her's, and his bottom lip started to tremble as he whispered, "Hey, love."

Tears spilled down his cheeks as Max's mouth opened slightly. "Y-you're here? Really?"

She didn't dare believe it.

He ever so slightly opened his arms. "Right here, Max."

And Max Mayfield, who skateboarded and played video games and who thought pink was disgusting and that dresses were stupid, collapsed into them, shaking and crying so hard she thought she would burst.

He clutched her in his arms, his face buried in her hair as his own tears slid down his face.

"I thought I was going to lose you, Wheeler!" She choked, and his grip tightened.

"Mayfield, you're never going to lose me." His voice was thick, and she laughed shakily before she pulled away, her eyes shining with tears.

He lifted her chin with his finger, a smile lifting the corners of his lip as he leaned in and kissed her, his soft lips touching her's hesitantly, and Max gave in kissing him back.

They broke apart, and he intertwined his fingers in her's.

"So, are we a thing now? I mean, if you want." Mike said nervously, scanning her expression, and Max smiled.

"Why is that the first thing you ask me? Of course, Wheeler. Do you even have to ask?"

He grinned, and she tugged him off the couch.

"Come on, Romeo. Let's go have a family reunion."

mY MADWHEELER HEART IS GOING 💕💓💘💞💖 IM SO HAPPY IM GONNA BURST