67

"Mrs Diggs?"

You looked up when a black haired woman called your name. She seemed around your height and definitely just started in her job as a nurse, at least she's currently aspiring to become one. The name tag tells it all.

You got to your feet as she motioned for you to follow, her hand shaking slightly as she waved you over.

"You okay...Miss Rose?", you asked carefully, kind of not wanting to overstep your bounds.

She nodded quickly "Yeah, I'm totally fine!"

You nodded along slowly, before she quickly added "Please just call me Ysabel. I feel so old when people call me Miss. But that's not important anyways and I'm rambling." She got quieter with ever word.

You chuckled softly and replied "Don't worry, Ysabel, I feel you. How old are you, if you don't mind me asking?"

Ysabel smiled a little as she led you to a room "I'm 18."

You nod once more and then remain silent, Ysabel motioning for you to sit down on a chair in front of the desk.

"The doctor will be with you in a minute," Ysabel said with a smile and was about to leave, before she turned around again and quietly asked "Could I get a picture with you?"

You only grinned in response "Sure."

Ysabel already was about to pull her phone out of her pocket – don't ask me why she had it with her – when the door opened and the doctor came in.

She was in her late thirties, her blonde hair short, about the length of her chin. She smiled, but you could already tell something felt off.

Doctor Miles shook your hand and took the seat opposite from you.

"So, the results are in and I'm afraid I've got good and bad news," she began and inwardly you groaned. Nobody loves good and bad news. But outwardly you just looked at her and waited for her to continue.

"The good news are that there's nothing wrong in your abdominal area as we first suspected, everything's fine and the x-ray showed no abnormalities," Doctor Miles began and trailed off slowly, glancing at the screen of the computer in front of her.

"The bad news are...well, that pain you felt in your abdominal area was created by a cyst that's located in your spinal cord." She turned the screen around to show you a picture from the x-ray. There was your spine, as you guessed, and...something.

"Do you see that thin, light grey shape inside the spinal cord right there?", Doctor Miles asked and pointed at said area

"Do you see that thin, light grey shape inside the spinal cord right there?", Doctor Miles asked and pointed at said area. You nod slowly in response.

"That's the cyst. In our terms we call it a syrinx,  and over the time it can expand and destroy the spinal cord. The damage here can result in weakness, stiffness, even paralysis at some point. It's what we call Syringomyelia."

You nod slowly once more but have a hard time processing this, simply because you don't really want to accept it. Something that can paralyze you over time...

"Mrs Diggs, there-", Doctor Miles began, but you interrupted her by asking "Can this be treated?"

She nodded "Yes, that's what I wanted to get at.  There are two options, either through surgery or medication."

"What risks are there if I take the surgery?", you asked right away, but Doctor Miles slowly shook her head "It's not that easy. A special surgeon needs to decide whether surgery is optical or not and there aren't a lot of surgeons who specialize on Syringomyelia. They need to decide."

"What are the risks?", you asked yet again and looked up at her, something close to fear shining in your eyes.

"There aren't a lot...blood clots, infection, maybe even lung problems." "But I won't be affected in walking or something?" "If everything goes alright, you should have no problems."

You nodded and glanced back at the picture. You didn't even know what you feared. But you knew that one thing you feared would be breaking this to your family.

Hi I apologize for this really late update but I had a hard time finding out how to continue this story. I really love this story but I'm a little out of steam.

But people.

This is weeks old.

But WE HIT 100k READS!

1 0 0 k  R E A D S (currently at 115 or something but YALL GET THE POINT)

I am S O blown away that we made it so far and the thought just brings me to happy tears. I love all of you so damn much and you inspire and motivate me to continue writing.

I love you all 💜 hope you enjoyed this chapter and we'll see each other soon

Toodles,

Lexi