Chapter 1 - Laurene's POV

Happiness. That beautiful emotion one feels in the absence of all negative emotions and the presence of any positive one. That is why joy comes in so many different flavours. There are so many different types of happiness to be explored, and yet most people stick to just a remote few sources of light, never testing the boundaries or swimming into deeper waters. Happiness is in the moment, the more focused the more intense, like a beam of light to the soul.

Contentedness. Wholesomeness. Every inch of my being is bathing in emotions so deliriously wonderful that I keep wondering if I am only drunk or dreaming.

This morning I awoke way before the sun gently rose into the sky, swallowing the land in its honeyed glow. I awoke before the birds started singing, that glorious harmonic solo or duet encased in a musical trill, high, but not in a sharp, slicing way – no. Instead, it is high like a soft and sweet song, a delight to the many resting ears of the world. The chains of traffic were just loud enough to be called a slightly irritating itch, but not so noisy as to be considered a nuisance. Instead of being affected by all of this I let the happiness soak into my bones. I want this feeling to be alive and thriving even when my body is half-working and I am rendered useless without a walking stick.

Even when the sun gently coaxes him out of his warm slumber, softly inching in through the haphazardly shut curtains, illuminating his skin in its golden splendour, and creating a warm fuzz of a soft glow on my silk bed sheets, I do not attempt to get up. I am content in lying here listening to the calming, rhythmic patter of his heartbeat, assuring me repeatedly in the tenderest of ways that last night was in deed real. Feeling a bitter breeze wash over my bare feet, I groggily turn my neck, and pluck open one squinting eye to see that my balcony door is gaping open, welcoming in the beautiful fresh sounds and cool air of this crisp morning. Enthusiastically tweeting, I can hear a little bird bestowing its gift to us on this cold morning. The fawning melody is the heart of the bird, freely given to all, no matter the circumstances or righteousness of the person. It is nature's free gift, bestowed upon all who are simply willing to listen.

I am snapped out of my continuous sprouting of lazy, gratified thoughts by the shifting of his body next to mine. Even though we slept on top of the covers, we kept warm through the night through being encased by each other's bodies. His strong arm is delicately draped over my waist, tugging me close to his chest, whilst I am held against him, with one of my palms over his heart and another at the back of his neck; playing with the wispy ends of his soft hair. We are on our sides cuddled into each other, and my right leg is hooked over his hips, pulling him flush against me, so that every part of me is vibrating in excitement with him being so close to my concealed skin. My palms are their own source of heat as they touch his delectably bare smooth skin, soft like creamy melting butter, and have flared in heat at his naked touch.

Gradually his eyes flutter open, and they softly loom into my own. I feel such love, happiness and excitement that I cannot imagine anyone being happier than I am in this present moment in time. However, my feelings only go so far. What really makes my head fuzzy with all of the gleeful emotions swimming around my system, is the way my feelings are being mirrored in Ellison's striking swirling greenish grey orbs. All of the love, happiness and joy I am feeling bounces straight back into me from Ellison. That is what pushes me that extra bit further into the depths of happiness, and makes my smile just that little bit brighter and wider. It is the unexplainable feeling of all of my most precious, raw emotions being returned by the man I am in love with.

"Morning baby." Ellison whispers in his deep morning voice, sending vibrations cascading down my spine.

"Morning Ellison... how are you?" I murmur back, unable to peel my eyes from his, as I am dumbfounded by the way he manages to look so handsome so early in the morning in last night's crumpled clothes.