four

THE PARTY HAS DIED down a bit and I find myself seated at the table next to Uncle Leo and across from the Green Eyed Jerk. He sports a smirk that I would like to just claw off. The table is soon filled with the rest of Alpha Gregory's family, Pete, and a new man and his wife that I had never seen before. I take a forkful of the macaroni salad on my plate and bring it to my nose before putting it in my mouth. It doesn't smell like moms, and how can it be hers when she's not here to make it.

The Green Eyed Jerk eyes me suspiciously as I sniff the next bite. I watch as he takes a forkful of his and brings it to his nose. He gives me a weird look before eating it.

I hear Pete's laugh from down the table and I crane my little neck to try and get a look at what he finds so funny. He is sitting next to one of the Alpha's sons and the two of them are covered in ketchup and mustard. I can't help but giggle at the two of them as I watch Pete run his burger on his face, properly coating it with ketchup before taking a huge bite. The other boy does the same and they both laugh, spitting chewed up meat as they had fun.

"Boys!" Alpha Gregory scolds. "Go clean yourselves up immediately."

I feel myself get angry at the Alpha for yelling at Pete. A little growl escapes my chest and my cheeks instantly darken. I cover my face with one of my hands and take another bite of my food.

The Alpha doesn't hear my growl, or he ignores it, but he clears his throat. "Leopold I need to speak to you about the children. Cleo, if you could leave the table and finish your dinner elsewhere."

"No." I watch as everyone else at the table looks me in shock. Everyone except for the Green Eyed Jerk, he looks amused. "If you're going to be talking about me, I'm going to be here."

"This is a matter for grown ups." He's warning me. If I disrespect him again I will be in big trouble.

"I would really like to stay." I say in a more calmer voice. "I can handle whatever you're about to say."

Uncle Leo stares at me with a pale face. He's worried about me and my defiance. No one is supposed to challenge the Alpha, especially not a small 10 year old girl.

"Fine." Alpha Gregory says with a devilish smile. A part of me thinks that he wanted me to stay, wanted me to defy him. He turns his attention to Uncle Leo. "Leopold. I know that as the previous Alpha's third, it is your place to be my Beta."

"Yes Alpha. You will not be disappointed." Uncle Leo puffs out his chest and nods with excitement. I could tell he was excited for his new position and really wanted it, but by the Green Eyed Jerk's expression that matched his fathers exactly I knew something was up. I placed my hand on top of Uncle Leo's and counted to three under my breath.

"You're right Leopold, I will not be disappointed because Marcus here is going to be my Beta." The man I had never seen before sits up in his chair and pats the Alpha's back with a wide grin.

"What?" Uncle Leopold physically and emotionally deflates.

"I could have the two of you fight for the position, but that could get messy. So it would be much easier if you just stepped down and took your place amongst the pack." Alpha Gregory linked his hands together and rested them firmly on the table in front of him. "Oh, and as the children's only living relative, the three of you will be moving together out of the pack house and into surrounding area with the other average wolves."

"Excuse me!?" I shout. I stand up in my chair so that he can see me clearly as I clench my fists at my side. "You're kicking us out of our house?"

"My house." The Alpha corrects.

"My brother and I have Alpha blood, you cannot treat us like second class wolves."

"I can do whatever I want Cleo. I'm the Alpha, and you're just the daughter of a cowardly betrayer." He grins as he sees my fury increases. "I would like you all moved out of my house by tonight. You may leave now."