A Girl's Errand

~~O~~

She ran endlessly, not looking back. Her feet sore, but she no longer cared. There was only one thing running in her mind at that moment, and that was to go to the Great Forest of Greenwood. She could still hear the voices of the men who were looking for her.

"Find her! We must find her before sunset! Search everywhere, do not stop until you find her!" the captain shouted.

The dark brown-haired woman reached the top of a hill, where she finally saw the borders of the great forest.

"Greenwood. Thank you." She said breathlessly, while looking down at the map and the box that she carries.

She ran down the hill and entered the borders, her knees now growing weaker. Breathing heavily, she fell on the ground and her vision blurred.

~~O~~

Tauriel, with a few elves were patrolling when they saw her. The elleth immediately recognized the woman and hurried to her. Though she was barely conscious, she was able to speak and gave the box that she carries to the elf.

"She's wounded." One of the guards told her, pointing at the woman's feet.

"Let us take her to the halls." Tauriel said.

~~O~~

At the meeting room, Thranduil and his son, Legolas were having a discussion about the restoration of the southern part of their land, when Tauriel walked in.

"What brings you here, Tauriel?" Legolas asked.

"I have something to report." Tauriel replied with a slight bow.

"What news do you bring?" Thranduil asked.

"We found a mortal inside our northern borders, my lord." Tauriel answered. "We brought her in, for she is weak and wounded."

"My king, she carries this." the elf added, holding the box out in her hands.

"What is it?" the Elvenking asked, eyeing the box curiously.

"I do not know. But she whispered two words before she fainted, 'Greenwood' and 'Thranduil'." Tauriel said, "I thought it would be better if you are the one to open it, my lord."

She handed the box to him, it was wrapped in bright red cloth made of silk. Thranduil carefully untied the cover and saw that the box itself was made of wood. There was a clear carving of a ship on top of it.

When he opened the box, his eyes widened. A silver necklace with an emerald pendant lies on top of a pile of shining white gems. He could not believe what he was seeing; the necklace was too familiar. He held it in his hands, and remembered the one who wore it.

"The necklace seems familiar to you, Father." Legolas said.

"Yes." Thranduil replied, "This is your grandfather's necklace."

He looked at Tauriel, "I want to see her."

"I will bring her to you once she is healed." Tauriel bowed and left.

"We need to know how she came to possess this." Legolas said eagerly.

"And where she found it," Thranduil added, looking at the carved ship on the box.

Tauriel headed back to the room where the mortal was resting, immediately seeing the wounds on her feet were almost healed. She placed her hand on the woman's forehead.

Why did you come here?

She was about to leave when the maiden slowly opened her eyes. Her body was still weak, yet she immediately recognized the red-haired elf.