chapter 3

Julia adjusted her white shirt as she rung the doorbell. Chuckling to herself when she head "Raise A Little Hell" by Trooper was blasting through the house. She waited a bit before she was greeted by a big bear hug. Developing this familiar feeling in her stomach, as she tightly hugged Steve back.

The two walked into his backyard, Julia spotted Tommy and Carol. Resisting the urge to roll her eyes, she simply said "Hey guys" with a soft smile. Tommy and Carol actually reacted and said 'hello' back. Sitting on a pool chair, Steve passed her a beer. Kicking back, she opened the drink and took a sip.

The doorbell rung once more, causing Steve to run and go get it. Tommy shook a box of cigarettes, his eyes flicking to Julia. She got up and plucked one out of the box. Carol held up the lighter as an offer, Julia nodded slightly. Carol tossed it to her. Covering the flame, she lit the stick, taking a long drag.

Exhaling, her nerves slowly felt like they were relaxing. Julia was never one to drink or smoke a lot, but she did when she was stressing out or needed something to distract her. She stared at the ignited bud as Nancy and Barb walked towards the group. "Hey Julia" Nancy grinned at the girl. She put a fake smile on as she waved to the two girls.

Carol screamed from behind her, causing her to whip her head around to see why. Tommy had her in his arms getting ready to throw her in the pool. He was joking as he released her, she smacked his chest as he was laughing. Julia let go of the eye roll she held back when she first saw them.

Steve walked by with a pocket knife and a can of beer for himself. Slicing a cut into the can, he popped open the tab and began to chug the drink. Julia sat there cheering on her friend in a joking manner. She had noticed the uncomfrotable look on Barbs face. Getting out of her chair, she sat next to the red head. Both of them sitting in a peaceful silence before Barb had spoken.

"Do you get annoyed by it too?" Julia looked at the red head, then Nancy who was fawning over Steve. Nodding her head, she noticed Barb was staring at the cigarette in her hand."Oh! Sorry about this." She reached over and put it out in the ashtray near them.

"I'm sorry, it must be hard. Trying to help her but she doesn't listen." Barb nodded her head, noticing that Nancy was fairly impressed at what Steve had done.

The two noticed that Steve was challenging Nancy to attempt to do what he had done with the beer. Julia brought her drink up to her lips and sighed into the can.

"I can tell you like him." Barbs words shocked Julia, causing her to choke on her beer. "I'm sorry. What?" Barb nodded. "Is it really that obvious?" She asked in a whisper.

"Don't think this is creepy but I can pretty much read your body language near him, your facial expressions. It's pretty easy." Barb laughed, looking at Julia's, now pink, face.

Steve handed Nancy the pocket knife, Barb shook her head in shame as she watched her best friend give in. Nancy knew what she was doing, which shocked both Barb and Julia.

Tommy crushed the can against his head as Carol stared at him in awe. Nancy began to down her drink, Steve Carol and Tommy encouraging her.

Barb rolled her eyes, Nancy asking if she wanted to try. Julia took this moment to stand up and get another cigarette, she regretted putting out her first one, but she didn't want to make the red head even more uncomfortable.