Native (BoyxBoy)

Hey everyone! This is the first chapter of my new book. Please vote comment and add to your library!

Native

Chapter 1

"Anoki, why do you get to go to school and I don't?" My best friend Keme asked me. We were fishing in a creek at the edge of the reserve. I was to start going to school outside the reserve for the first time. I was one of the first to ever do so since we mostly kept to ourselves. We didn't like to associate with those who weren't like us, who didn't live or believe like we did. But our Shaman, Powaqa had foretold the return of Pishuni.

Pishuni is our name for what the whit people would call the devil, and for some reason he was drawn here. Taking the form of a human boy, he enrolled at a local high school and has been causing nothing but trouble. He uses his power of manipulation to make people do his bidding. Because my father is the chief here and I his only child, they chose me to spy on him. "Well if you want to be son of the chief, I can switch you parents." I grinned at him

"Um on second thought school doesn't sound that fun." He replied frowning. even though everyone respected my father, they also feared him. Chief Otaktay was a very large man. But he was also quiet young, only 35 moons.  He wears his hair styled in a popular Native American style, it is kept in a long braid down his back to keep it out of his face. According to some of the Elders he was the boy all the girls wanted as there husband, but he fell in love withthe only one who didn't. The girls always loved hearing the story of Otaktay and Hachi because it made them believe that true love is real and that it conquers all. Of course its courage and thinking that conquers everything, not love.

"Keme! Anoki! I brought lunch!" We both turned to see Koi, Keme's twin brother, running towards us a bundle in his arms. I was always fascinated by the way he ran. His leg muscles bunching and tightening as he moved with the grace of a dancer. He looked like just what his name suggested, a panther. When we were younger we used to race around in the forest for hours and Koi always won.

Now that we're older he has become the tribe's runner. He runs things to other people who live on the reserve. Our Tribe owns 4000 acres of forest so it can be a challenge to keep in touch. We don't use electricity or machines, everything is done by hand. My father likes to live like out ancestors did. At one with nature. This means we do things like spirit quests and wear furs.

Sometimes I feel like my life is one huge camping trip. In the summer we sleep under the stars and have ceremonial fires and dances. We use war paint  and old weapons like bows and spears to fight off evil spirits and the demons who have taken control of the world. And they really have taken over the world, I have seen it on one of my few trips to town. I was walking down the street carrying some of the furs we wished to sell when I heard the screaming. I took off running towards the screams and found a young boy being attacked. He was trying to push another boy away from him. I yelled at him to stop and when the boy who was attacking turned I could see that he wasn't human.

Of course I always knew demons existed but I had never seen one before. This one had orange hair and large black eyes. His teeth were long and sharp and his tongue was black with a red forked tip like that of a snake. A tattoo of knots and wavy lines wrapped  around his neck and up around his eyes. He hissed at me but decided I wasn't worth it.  I ran at him and knocked him away right as he was about to devour the poor boy. He snarled but looked at my eyes. I saw something cross over his face but almost as soon as I saw it, he disappeared. The boy who had been attacked looked to be about 8 or 9 moons, just a little younger than I was at the time. He had soft pale blonde hair and bright blue eyes that were filled with tears.

'He ate my sister.' He said braking down into sobs. I looked around and saw the remains of a body. It looked as if the skin and muscles had been peeled away leaving the organs and bones behind. The face though, hadn't been touched. I could see traces of blonde hair much like the boys except hers was matted with blood. Her eyes were open and a look of pure fear was frozen on the face of the girl. It made me sick. I hunched over and vomited at the sight. All I remember after that was helping the boy get to his house and apologizing for not getting there sooner. His parents sobbed but thanked me for at least saving there son. I never even learned his name.

I sometimes have nightmares about it. I never even told my father about my run in with the demon. Other tribes' runners have brought news of other attacks but for some reason they were all the same. The deaths were always young kids and teens. No one over the age of 18 moons has been killed. Many have been injured, but never killed. Over the years I have seen much blood and death but that memory still haunts me. Maybe it was because I was so young, or maybe it was because the boy I saved was my age. Whatever the reason, it's never far from my mind.

"Thanks Koi." I said smiling as he set the bundle down on the bank.

"No problem. I didn't have to run anywhere today so I decided to help Gaho since she was trying to give Kitchi a bath."  Kitchi was their younger brother. He wasn't even one moon old and everyone loved him. But he really didn't like to take baths, one time it took half the tribe just to get him to the creek. It's really crazy at their hut sometimes.

"You sure she doesn't need help?" I asked skeptically.

"If you want to help, good luck." Koi said laughing.

"Fine you guys have fun fishing. I'm going to be helpful." I pushed myself up off the ground and took of running to bathing creek. It didn't take me too long to get there. The bathing creek was actually a little bigger and deeper than the name suggests but it isn't a river like the one we use for water and fish. Plus there are rocks around the bathing creek to set furs and stuff to dry.

"Oda? You need help giving Kitchi his bath?" I asked walking towards the woman holding the screaming child. Because the creek is sort of deep Oda has a tub made from wood that she brings down and fills with water.

"Oh Anoki thank you! How come I couldn't have at least one son like you?" I kneeled down next to the screaming baby

"Hi Kitchi. Why are you crying?" I cooed at him. He stopped screaming and wrinkled his nose at me.

"Come here." I said picking him up and tickling his sides. He began to giggle and scrunch his eyes shut. While he was distracted I sat him in the tub.

"Now!" I yelled to Oda. I held him down while she washed him. He screamed and cried the whole time trying to wiggle his way out of my grip and I ended up soaking wet.

"I don't know why he doesn't like baths. None of my other kids hate baths." She said shaking her head and wrapping him up in a fur.

"No I guess they don't. I'm pretty sure Keme's spirit animal should have been a fish not an eagle." I chuckled. We dumped out the tub and she carried Kitchi in it back towards her hut. Since I was wet I removed my buckskin shirt and laid it on a rock to dry. Then I started back to where Keme and Koi were fishing.

As I passed the fire circle I heard giggling and turned to see two girls looking at me and giggling. "Hi Anoki!" one said and giggled louder. I just rolled my eyes. I guess in some ways I was like my dad. I got his good looks; with my black hair that came to the middle of my ears, and dark brown eyes, I had a good looking face. I was tall but not too tall, around 6 ft. and I had muscle. Of course all the younger men had muscle to attract women. I guess girls really liked the muscle in my abdomen because I had been complimented on it quiet a bit.

By the time I got back to the guys there was a crowd of men standing around talking. Then I heard a scream.

What do the native american names and words mean?  

Anoki-Actor

Keme-Thunder

Koi-Panther

Otaktay- Kills many

Kitchi- Brave

Gaho-Mother  

Hachi- Stream

Powaqa- Witch 

So what did you think? Should I continue or just forget this story? And should it be rated R for intense violence if I continue it?