Through the Forest

Soon enough my legs became tired from walking too much. I didn't know how much time had passed, hours? The morning sun was not fully out yet, but the morning mist hung before us. The birds weren't chirping as loudly as usual.

          The air was more frigid than to what I was use to. Considering it was still very early in the day. I was ahead of everyone else, walking with only Jax. Esmeralda was riding on top of Aspen, wrapped in a thick blanket. Hussain had offered to take my horse's reins.

I didn't bother in protesting, letting Hussain do what he wanted. Eugene had decided to hang back with my brother, conversing with him almost the whole time. Bo and Jako kept pace with Aspen, exchanging words every so often.

         I didn't mind being alone. It felt good to observe everything with some peace, it helped me stay awake and sharp. We walked through the forest, being careful to avoid the rocky areas. I inhaled deeply at the air around me.

The air was cold and fresh, unlike the city air. Which was full of gas or heat sometimes. I had missed natural air. We passed a small patch of a cleared area. The grass was withering from the incoming winter. But the ground was free of usual fallen trees or bushes.

     I stopped walking, glancing up at the sky. The stars were gone, replaced with a lightening sky. But the sun wasn't here yet, the direction of north unclear. It was a good time to rest and eat. I glanced at my watch. It was five in the morning shift.

I turned back toward Bo and everyone, having Jax follow me without hesitation. "This is a good spot to stop. We will continue later on in the day." I said. Bo didn't complain, his body almost sagging with relief. Hussain didn't look bothered, neither did Eugene. We were all use to walking this much, and more.

                But no one complained. I solely thought it was because of the cold, the cold was going to be a difficult factor for us all. I knew it. "Did someone---"

Hussain cut me off as he dropped his bag to the floor and began to pull the equipment to make a tent. I nodded at him, letting him set it up himself. Eugene also pulled out a tent and began to work. I was glad they both had traditional tents, made from animal skins. I wasn't sure where they had gotten it from, but it made me glad.

         Bo went over to help my brother. I helped Esmeralda off the horse and she wobbled over to Eugene for aid. Only Jako remained aback, watching everything with a sour look on his face. I ran my fingers through Aspen's mane, scratching his head gently.

"I will go look for a water source." I announced to no one in particular. I took Aspen's reins and led him throughout the forest. We weaved through forest, looking or listening for a water source. I checked the ground, trying to find moist ground toward the water. But I sighed as I realized all of the ground was moist because of the morning mist hanging overhead.

           I took my water canteen and let Aspen drink from it. My horse needed water more than everyone. I wiped the mouth piece of my canteen and tucked it back in my bag. I softly tugged Aspen's rein as we headed back. By the time I got back, one tent was already set up.

It was pretty big, enough to fit three or four people. Hussain stood back proudly, admiring his work. As for Eugene and Esmeralda, they were struggling a little. I took off Aspen's rein off his head. As I worked on his saddle, I overhead their conversation.

       As Eugene huffed out a breath, he glanced at Jako. "Hey man, do you want to help?" He asked with gritted teeth. I glanced at Jako from over Aspen's back. I pretended to do something with my hands, but in reality I was watching them.

Jako crosses his arms, he was sitting on a rock. "I'm fine." He snapped. Eugene frowned. "We're working on a tent that you might sleep in. Best help us." He said. Esmeralda glanced over her shoulder at Jako, giving him a look. But Jako relented.