Wattpad Original
There are 3 more free parts

Chapter Four

While Lily was no stranger to attention when moving in her own circles, it was odd for her to garner such interest when in a foreign country and surrounded by people who likely had no clue who she was. Yet, as they walked together at a comfortably paced stroll through the park, she couldn't help but notice how many eyes were on them. A sideways glance at her companion gave Lily some idea as to why that might be; a devastatingly handsome man was passing through, and they all wanted to take his picture.

Oblivious to their attention – or perhaps so accustomed to it that he'd trained himself to ignore it – the man kept his hands in his pockets and smiled down at her. There must have been a good seven inches between their heights, and he towered above many of the other men they passed on their route. This alone was enough reason for people to stare. Tall men were the envy of males of average height, and greatly desired by petite women.

'So, how long have you been in Japan?' he asked conversationally. 'I guess you're here on vacation?'

'It's more of a working holiday,' Lily corrected. 'And this is my first day.'

'Your first day and you've already found a purse snatcher in one of the safest cities in the world?'

'I'm lucky like that,' she joked.

It didn't feel like a joke.

It felt like she was a magnet for all of the crap in the universe, and people like Julian and the thief were drawn to her against their will. That said, her woes weren't as severe as the trials many people faced in life. It just felt like Lily had gotten a run of the worst luck in the universe because she was stuck in the middle of it, the feelings of heartbreak and betrayal still raw and tender inside of her. Maybe one day - a few months or years down the line - she'd realise that it wasn't all that bad. Until then, she would continue to curse the cruel hand she'd been dealt.

The man laughed. It was a gentle, warm sound. Despite all the bruises to her body and her pride, Lily felt a little fortunate to have encountered him when she had. He asked with genuine interest, 'What is it you do?'

'Oh... I'm here as an assistant,' Lily lied artfully. 'My boss has work here, and she brought me with her.'

There was no point telling him the truth.

Who was going to believe that Lily was heiress of a major London fashion house when she was running around after purse snatchers in jeans and worn out boots?

Sometimes, even she didn't believe it.

Besides, she supposed she was never going to see him again as soon as they found the mall. Lily was hoping to pass through the trip without making the headlines on fashion blogs and in the tabloids, so it was best that as few people as possible knew her real identity. Not that she expected the man to know or care what her role was or what Silver Heart produced. Sure, they were global, but they were hardly on par with Gucci.

'What about you?' she asked.

'I do all sorts of things,' he said evasively.

Either it meant he really did do a number of different things part-time, or he was unemployed and didn't want to tell a total stranger that he had no profession. Given Lily wasn't being honest with him, she could hardly expect him to be honest with her. She decided not to press him for more information. It wouldn't be polite, and they didn't have the time to be drawn into a deep discussion with one another, not when they were almost at their destination.

The mall wasn't easily missed. It was an imposing building, and now swarmed with shoppers who were keen to spend their money as swiftly as possible. The man waited with her to cross the street despite Lily's assertions that she was more than capable of finding the rest of the way by herself, and walked her around the building towards the entrance.