16

Dave

I didn't get home until about 6 in the morning, I knew I shouldn't have brung this upon Ayana to watch Kairi, she could barely watch herself at times.

When I got inside Ayana was laid out on the couch and I felt even worse cause she was on the couch. I sighed and walked over laying behind her trying to find some comfort because this was going to be hard for me for awhile.

"Is everything okay?"

I wasn't expecting her to say anything because I thought she was sleep but I guess not. "She-she didn't make it."

-

Ayana

To say I didn't know her, that stung me. A kid just lost her parent at a young age and maybe she'll never know.

"I- I'm sorry."

He sighed. "It's cool."

It was silent for awhile until I took it upon myself to turn around to face him. I noticed his watery eyes and to see a man cry..... that hurts as well. I mean honestly, if you ever see a man cry that takes everything out of you.

"If you need to be alone, I can go. I understand."

"No, I don't want you to go. Yana, Kairi has to grow up without a mother in her life, I don't think I can- I can't do this."

"David, don't say that. You can do this, one step at a time, she's only 2. It's going to take a long time but I guarantee it's all going to be worth it."

"I know, I just don't want the streets to have her."

"And they won't, you are a great dad I already know you are."

He chuckled and I smiled. "I am pretty great I guess."

"See now your head is being blown up. I wasn't saying all that."

Our eyes locked together for a quick moment then he moved closer and kissed me. "I want you to stay here."

"Dave, I can't."

"Why not?"

"My home is Miami, not New York."

"I'll move to Miami."

I laughed and he sucked his teeth. "Foreal, I'll move anywhere to be with you."

"I'll think about it, once I leave here I'm moving out of my Uncle house anyway."

"Why is that?"

"Because, he's still doing- he's just been lying to me about a lot lately and my Aunt helps him cover it up. Their brainwashing me."

"Is this about the business?"

"It's not a business Dave, it's something that can get you years and I advise you to leave it alone and go about your own business."

"It's really nothing like that Yana, that's what he's been trying to tell you."

"I really don't care for it and don't want to hear it, cause that business is what got my parents killed okay?"

"Yes, I know. I won't mention it again. But tell me this, if something would to happen between us... I would never put the business over you or Kairi and that's a fact."