Chapter 27: The Meeting

I met Jewel back in our room and we headed to the Silent Heroes meeting together.  I was nervous, curious and excited all at once.  Excited to be a part of something bigger than myself.  Curious about what we'd be doing and nervous that I would lose control and do something stupid (again).

On the other hand, only half of my brain was actually focused on the meeting.  The other half was torn between ruminating on Lucas's sudden change in behavior, and the tense atmosphere that lingered throughout the school.

My life here was rapidly becoming much more complicated than it had ever been back home.  It was hard to believe sometimes that I had only been in the village a few days.

"Did you notice all the people down in the lobby, Eve?" Jewel asked as we walked, crossing the threshold from the third floor to the second.

"Yeah," I said.  "Do you know what they're doing here?  No one would tell me."

"Checking in with Kerry, I expect.  They're all members of the legal committee, and she's the one that called for a trial."

"About what?" I asked, although I was pretty sure of the answer already.

"The incident with Deanna," Jewel said grimly.  "The media's really milking this one.  At least a dozen more articles came out after the one you showed us.  It was mentioned on a few news stations last night.  They've been trying to keep it under wraps around here, but it must have leaked out somehow because everyone seems to know what's going on."

"Is Deanna in trouble?"

"That's what the committee's here to decide.  But, this media circus isn't gonna help matters, that's for sure.  And, if I know Kerry, she'll push for the harshest punishment she can get."

"I'm starting to seriously dislike that woman," I said, an animalistic growl coming through in my voice.

"Join the club," Jewel said, as we arrived at a fairly standard-looking classroom.  It was incredibly spacious, almost big enough to fit a soccer field.  The ceiling had been equipped with a forest of hanging ropes.  Wooden boards, slabs of concrete and circular disks were piled up along the back wall. 

I was surprised by the sheer number of people who had gathered inside.  At least a hundred, and they were still coming.  I was even more surprised to see all the different types of shifters all mingling together.  Birds and wolves and wildcats clustered in groups of three, four and five, talking and laughing as if the boundaries between species was no more significant than a difference in hair colour.

"Deanna insisted we all get to know each other," Jewel said.  "Wouldn't take "no" for an answer.  Hey Lance!  Melody!"

"Jewel!" a pair of wolf-shifters came bounding over, their handsome faces split into huge grins.  The girl had long black hair peppered with silver.  The boy's hair was striped with grey, black and russet red.

As soon as they reached us, the wolves began springing in circles around Jewel like a couple of excited kids. 

"How's is goin, Jewel?" the girl said.

"Wazzap?" said the boy.

"Where ya been?"

"Whatcha been doin?"

"I haven't seen you in ages!"

Jewel laughed.  "What are you talking about, Mel?  I just saw you guys yesterday."

"Too long!" the girl said.

"Too long!" the boy agreed, as they continued to jump in circles around her.