Approach and Confession; Chapter Nine

•A MIRACULOUS FANFICTION•

_______.•*+*•._______
MARINETTE'S POV

Anger, undecided love and confusion were ripping at my heart that night. All I could do was cry while Rose comforted me, not even I knew what to do with myself. I just kissed and put in the dark; Adrien Agreste. Handsome, funny, selfish, loving, everything you'd want in a guy. Except... I couldn't help but feel like he loved me because I was the only one here to love. With him constantly reminding me that I was his prisoner, his property, his, his, his!

Did I even know anymore?

The next day, I tried to avoid Adrien as much as possible. My ingenuous plan of staying indoors was working, and I hid in the bathroom when he came to check on me. It was going brilliantly... until lunch.

I was hungry enough, so I forced myself to join the rest of the crew. Then I reminded myself; I had to face Nathaniel and Adrien. I was nervous, so nervous, so afraid of the unknown. What a fabulous combo, and I'm not talking about meal specials. I groaned, and so did my stomach, so we left for the dining hall.

I immediately became confused about how to react once I stepped inside. The seats had been moved, switched around for a new seating chart. It was organized in a way that Adrien and Nathaniel were on opposite ends of the long, rectangular table with me on Adrien's left hand side.

Sighing and sitting down, I accepted my fate. It was Chloe's turn to help serve today, which I thanked the universe for. That's because it meant half, if not all of my food would 'accidentally' fall on the floor. {thanks to Chloe, if you haven't caught on yet}.

After Chloe's little "I guess it slipped" routine with my plate, I ate as quickly as possible. My only assumption would be that Adrien noticed this, for he began to pick up the pace too. I internally sighed and finished my last carrot before standing up, thanking Nathaniel for the meal, and leaving.

Adrien hadn't finished one full portion of anything on his plate yet, but nevertheless he followed me out the door. Before I reached my door handle, he grabbed my wrist. "Back at where we were last night, aren't we Captain?" I sarcastically stated, and he gave me a face of frustration and embarrassment.

"Marinette, you need to give me a sign. An answer. Anything. I can't live another minute not knowing how you feel about what happened last night." He blurted, clearly emotionally distraught. Placing his hand on my heart, I began to blush. "Please. What is it telling you?"

It took me a moment to catch up. Is this the Captain I met on my first day here? The same one that kidnapped me and slung me over his shoulders? The same Adrien that wouldn't let me go home for the sake of his own?

It was. The one that was breaking down.

Because of me.

I looked down at the hand that covered my heart, and put my own hand on it. Closing my eyes, I took in deep breaths. And I breathed. And focused. Hearts cannot speak with words, but I was going to let my actions take control.

Without hesitation, our layered hands interlocked fingers. My eyelids fluttered open and he stared at me, tears beginning to form in his eyes. "Marinette, I-"

I put my hands on his shoulders and slowly leaned in; "I don't know why I'm doing this, or how to do it." I started, beginning to cry myself. "I should hate you, I should hate you for the rest of my life. I would never guess that underneath all this tough skin, my heart would choose you. I'm supposed hate you. But it chose you. And I don't know why. I-"

He cut me off with his pair of soft lips. He wrapped his arms around my mid back, mine flying around his neck and brushing against the ends of his hair. He gently smiled into the kiss, I could feel it, and broke us apart for air.

"You're not just doing this so you can escape, are you?" He smirked.

"If I truly wanted to escape from you, I think I'd be miles away." I muttered back, and pulled him in for another long one.

He had just lightly pushed me up against the post when we heard a; "Marinette?..."

Our heads whipped around to see Nathaniel, sadness draping his expression, and arms now folded uncomfortably. Betrayal could be read on his face like it was written on his forehead, and I began to panic.

"Nathaniel, we-" Adrien started, but he raised a hand to silence the Captain.

"I'm quitting the crew. The S.S. Noirè no longer carries a Nathaniel Kurtzberg. First thing tomorrow, while you all are at the Market, I'll be on my way towards a better life." He stated, crystal clear, no traces of regret or remorse.

"Nathaniel, I'm not worth leaving your friends, I-" I began, but he pointed a threatening finger at me.

"You don't talk to me about relationships, Marinette. I bet you slept with everyone else on this god forsaken ship before you even knew my name, am I right?! You little-" he spat, but was silenced by Adrien's authoritative;

"Nathaniel! That's enough. I accept your resignation. You may remain in your quarters until tomorrow morning." He barked, and gave him a final glare before sending him off.

»The Next Morning«

"We know the girl is special, she just popped out'a nowhere. But mermaids, kid?! You're looney." Spoke the right hand man of a most powerful illegal trader ship, the most merciless to sail the ocean yet. The deal-maker on the other side of the table was seated politely, no threat, nor calmness on his young face.

"I-I can prove it! If she gets wet, her tail appears right out of thin air. I've seen it with my own eyes!" The redhead stuttered, clearly afraid for his well being at the moment. The pirate quirked an eyebrow, leaning back into his chair in thought.

"Hm... You have one chance to prove yourself, Mr. Kurtzberg. One. Chance.
Succeed, you're in the crew. Fail, you're on our hit list. Got that?" The man threatened roughly before letting the boy go, dedicated to succeeding this mission.

.-~•*°*•~-.

For those of you that noticed, I did change the cover and name of the book.
Now it has a title!~ :0

We got romance, action and suspense in there. I'd be lying if I didn't say I was proud.

Don't forget to vote if you enjoyed the chapter, and thank you all for your support! :3

(1128 Words)