Chapter 1

El’s POV

I sat on the carpeted floor of my new room. I gazed around the room at the tan colored walls and empty space. Admiring the way the sun shined brightly through a large window that was just behind me. This is my new room and it’s a blank canvas for me to paint, just like my new life here in Hawkins Indiana. I was brought out of my thoughts when I heard two soft knocks on my open bedroom door, to see my dad Jim Hopper standing at the door.

“How are you doing, El?” My father asked and I softly smiled up at him.

“Good,” I said simply.

“You don’t have to pretend sweetie, I know it’s scary and hard moving to a new town with new people but I used to live here….. This is where I grew up, it’s a good place, filled with really good people. I know you’ll love it here.” Dad smiled softly

“It’s really different from LA,” I said with a small chuckle.

“Yeah, that’s true” He laughed.

“But it didn’t feel right in LA, I realized, a little late that….. LA was not the place I wanted my little girl to grow up in. I want you to grow up in the place I did. You get to go to the High School I once attended and meet some people that I grew up with. I think this is the best thing for us.” Dad said confidently, nodding his head. I smiled up at him, I could feel the love he had for little Hawkins Indiana. I want to love it just like him and grow up in the place he did but that doesn’t change the fact that this huge change is pretty frightening.

“Well sweetie, the movers are going to bring your bed in and all your boxes in just a second. But you can focus on settling in a bit later. Go explore for a little bit, try to get used to this small town.” He told me and I nodded, getting up from the ground and moving past my dad. He gave me keys to the new house, told me he was going to order pizza and leave a few good slices for me to eat when I got back. He also gave me a speech on calling him if I got lost or scared, I had to show him several times that my phone was in my pocket before I left. I hopped on my purple bike and wandered along the neighborhood sidewalks. I even rode through the park near my house attempting to get used to this foreign place. Wondering around didn’t help though, everything still felt strange, scary and new. I thought to myself what was one place I could think of, that would make me feel safe and calm. My first thought was the library. With that thought, I stopped my bike, took out my phone from the front basket on my bike and typed into google maps whatever would be the closest library. I then rode off, reaching the library maybe 20 minutes later. I hopped off my bike and headed inside the large building. Soft music played in the building, the lighting was dim. This ambiance made me feel soothed and cozy. I started to walk towards the rows and rows of books. Seeing how throughout the building a set of two chairs, a table, and a nice lamp was placed in convenient places around the room. I loved everything about this place. Who knows, maybe this will become the “El Hopper hangout space,” but then again I’m sure there is more than one library in Hawkins, so maybe I’ll need some more convincing. I walked through the rows of books, skimming my fingers across each individual book. I have no idea what to read first, there are so many books, so much knowledge to acquire. I suddenly heard a throat clear behind me and a soft male voice speak.

“Do you need any help?” The male voice asked. I turned around to come face to face with an attractive teen. He was quite a bit taller than me with a head full of black curls. He wore a navy blue flannel with some black jeans. I looked up and down at him.

“I’m sorry?” I asked, forgetting what he asked for a moment.

“Do you need any help, you know finding a book?” The guy asked again, gesturing to all the books around him.