What He Left Behind 6

After what seemed like an hour, I finally heard a car come to a stop nearby and the front door opened and closed. I sat up from my laying position that I ended up in after getting uncomfortable sitting. (Don't worry, I was laying on the grass, not a grave.) I looked at the caretaker who was now a row over sweeping off some other stones. I looked at my phone and noticed it was only half an hour that I was waiting.

"About time you showed up. I thought I was gonna end up sleeping here." I mumbled the last part as I got up to face Tony. He was wearing black dressy pants, a black peacoat and a silky button down that I saw through the open coat.

"Sorry, I was in a meeting downtown." He replied before pointing to a bench that was nearby. Where the hell was that 30 minutes ago? I would've sat, there instead of the ground. I turned to glare at the caretaker who was now gathering his stuff to leave, before following Tony to the bench. "So, what have you decided?"

I looked up at him then back down at the letter. I have been thinking about this for three days straght and I knew exactly what I was going to say. "I want to know exactly what goes on in this buisiness. Every little detail and what exactly makes it 'underground'." I emphasized the undeground part. The guy in front of me had a blank stare as he registered what I was asking for.

"Does that mean you plan on succeding your father?"

"No, it simply means that if I do decide to continue with this buisiness, then I want to know exactly what it does." No one said a word for a while and quite honestly, it was getting pretty awkward.

"So....?" I finally spoke up after what seemed like forever.

He let out a sigh before answering. "Alright fine. It seems reasonable. But I have one request. If you plan on ending the whole operation, you must never speak about anything you see, to anyone. Spare your father and everyone that has worked for him."

"Deal."

"Soo, this is it?" We were in downtown Waterlake, far away from any homes or city fronts. After I agreed to Tony's request, he offered to drive me to the location but I told him I'd drive my own car. I sill don't know if I can trust this guy. We drove 20 minutes out of the suburbs of the town and ending up near the buisness front. Hundreds of wharehouses and storage units mainly.

"Almost." Tony mumbled. The front door of the huge wharehouse we were standing in front of opened and a big guy in black pants and coat walked out.

"Hey Tone." The guy grunted then eyed me. "Who's she?"

"Carlos. This is the Boss's daughter. Mia." Tony replied.

"Oh, I'm sorry miss. I had no idea." The guy, Caros staightened up before speaking further. "My name is Carlos, it's nice to fnally meet the boss's daughter. About time we get better management around here." He gave Tony a smirk and a small shove, informing that it was only a joke.

"Slow down there Carlos. It's not definite if she's taking over or not." Carlo's looked at me alittle sad but nodded like he understod why.

"Come on, Mia." I turned to follow Tony but looking back at Carlos who was now joined by two other big guys. They looked at me but turned away when they saw me looking back.

"He's the head of security." Tony said as we made our way upstairs. The buildng from the inside seemed pretty good in shape, like it was up to date and always clean. The upstairs floor had, what seemed like living room with really nice furniture. There were also open doors with people in them. All together it seemed like there were about 20 people in the wole wharehouse. Most of them looked at me as I walked by. They looked at me as if I was tresspassing on their territory, which I guess I really was. When Tony finally stopped, we were at the end of a hallway, that was towards the back portion of the floor and away from all the other offices. He pointed to a closed door that looked like it had been that way for a while before talking.

"That was your father's office." He pulled out a key. "I was the only person that had a key and that has ever entered and it was to just clean around every once and a while. I'm a man of my word and I left everything untouched." He finished as I reached for the key. "The only thing that I did grab was your father's gun. I have it in a safe behind my desk." It looked like he was going to say something more put stopped himself as he realized I hadn't said anything in return.

I looked at the key then at the door and back at Tony. I somehow found my voice, "So this is everything he left. A key?"

"A key that will explain everything." A small sigh. "Listen Mia, I can't explain everything without sounding like this is a set up or risking tha tyou won't believe me. Go inside, see what he's done and if you still have questions," He pointed to the door right behind him, that I seemed to just notice, "my office is right here. Just go in." And with that he turned and headed towards the end of the hallway where someone was waiting.

I ignored the look the person was giving me and faced the door. So this is it. Everything that I need to know will be in this room. In my dad's office. I blocked any hesitaton that I had eft and slipped the key into the door's key hole. Taking one last deep breathe, I turned the key and pushed the oak door open.

Three hours later, I've finally been able to register exactly what I'm dealing with if I take this business on. I'm dealing with illegal trafficking of illegal items. Yea, that pretty much sums it up. I've found papers dating back 14 years, which means my dads been doing this since I was 4. I could say that explains a lot but growing up, my dad doing any kind of illegal things would've never entered my mind. My dad hid it well, and I don't blame him.  

There weren't many papers in my dads office. There was only one file cabinet and everything else seemed to be just books and pictures to give the place a better feel. On my dads desk there were pictures of me and my brother all over. None of my mom but there was a picture of another lady with a little girl at her side. I wonder who they were.  

"Find what you were looking for" the voice made me jump alittle knowing that I was no longer alone. "Sorry, I should've knocked." I looked up at Tony who was leaning against the door frame.  

"It's okay. And I think I did." I said answering his previous question looking into his eyes. He looked down on the desk where some papers were scattered and walked towards one of the chairs that was diagonally to the left of where I was sitting.  

"So.....?" he questioned as he took a seat and looked at me. I knew what he was asking. But before I could answer a voice at the door stopped me.  

"The office is clean enough," the door opened and a younger looking man walked in looking down at papers, "What more can you be doing in here?" he finished looking up at me first then to his right and back at me. "Who's that?" he pointed. 

"It's not polite to point" Tony stated. And the guy, more like kid, put his finger down.  

"Who's that? He repeated pointing with his head, but now looking at Tony.  

"This is Mia-" Tony started. 

"The new Boss" I finished, having two set of curious eyes staring straight at me.