Chapter 18 - I'm here

Hana looked up at the bright midnight moon that, tonight, was full. This was the second time she had seen the moon so large and so bright - the first being the time she'd fully regained her memory of what she'd done under the control of the sorceress Ayame. Ironically, that first time had also been the first time Hana had admitted to Lord Sesshomaru that she loved him. 

Every time she stopped to think, Hana had found herself remembering that specific night and that would usually lead to her also thinking of Lord Sesshomaru's earlier kiss. Every time the thought came to mind, Hana's heartbeat sped up a bit and her skin tingled. Maybe her feelings hadn’t been that unrequited after all.

 Remembering the feel of Lord Sesshomaru’s lips on hers, the shade of pink on Hana’s cheeks deepened. She then gazed down at Rin, sleeping soundly on her leg. She gently ran her hand over the human girl's head, smiling faintly. She was glad to have been able to spend more time with the girl. Hana now knew for a fact that she would not be wandering off anymore any time soon.

Her calm moment, however, was soon interrupted by the unfamiliar scent of a demon drawing nearer to where they were situated. Hana looked up at Lord Sesshomaru who had been sitting peacefully in the tree branches above them, and the look on his face (Hana had learned to somewhat interpret Sesshomaru's different versions of indifferent) confirmed the scent she was picking up. Still, Lord Sesshomaru did not move from where he was, indicating that the demon, if they were to encounter it, would be of no threat to them. 

Sesshomaru turned his head slightly, glancing down at Hana, and, for a moment, her eyes locked with his. Surprisingly, for once, Hana was not the one to look away. Sesshomaru calmly averted his gaze from Hana, turning to look back out into the dense forest with that usual thoughtful look on his face. At this Hana smiled. Though his face had given nothing away, she knew that he had felt something just then. Of this, she was sure – a first for her.

 She leaned back onto the side of Ah-Un, who was resting behind her, closing her eyes and allowing the silence – and the contented feeling in her heart – to slowly lull her to sleep.

When Sesshomaru looked down at Hana once again, he noticed that she had fallen asleep, and strangely, she had done so with the slightest trace of a smile on her face.

 The ease at which women – demon and human alike – could ‘fall in love’ had never failed at catching Sesshomaru’s attention. He often regarded it as foolish.

How foolish it was of them to brazenly admit their ‘feelings’ to men, while knowing quite well the risks that they were taking – the risks of being rejected, made a fool of or any of the other countless things that could possibly occur……foolish indeed.

 So did he think of Hana as foolish for admitting that she loved him so many times? And did he regard himself as foolish for even suggesting to her that her feelings were not entirely unrequited? At one point he had. Now, it merely intrigued him. The way solely his presence could cause her to become so flustered and the look which she held in her eyes whenever he spoke to her, even the fact that, seeing as wolves had been the ones responsible for Rin’s first death a couple years before, Hana being a wolf demon did not bother him. Then again, the Sesshomaru that had existed before he met Rin would have never bothered saving anyone’s life – be it demon or human. But he did end up saving Hana’s life; likewise, he had saved Rin’s.

Sesshomaru thought back to his going to search for Hana after she’d made the decision to try to mend things between her and that insolent wolf yokai. Rin had asked him if it had made him “jealous.”

Jealously was something that Sesshomaru refused to feel, but if it had been possible for the dog demon to ever experience such an emotion….had he?