Spotlight Author: @Athaja

If you had to describe yourself in one word, what words wouldn't you use?

 Wattpad celebrity... why do you think I'm applying here??? I need visibility in this arena!

  What did you want your nickname at school to be? 

I was happy that nobody ever dared to nickname me, tbh... 

  When you were a young 'un, what did you want to be when you grew up? 

An astronaut. Seriously. I only gave up when I discovered I suck at maths, because the only position I could envision for myself was commander. Blame Cpt. Kirk for that. 

What's your favourite quote? 

God is a writer - it explains the f***** up state of the world. 

Tell us about your reading/writing habits. 

  I write a scene every day. I get cranky if I can't write. I also get cranky when I don't have coffee, so I write and drink coffee, and go to work so I can pay for my coffee... 

As your crew casts your lifeless body into the heart of the nearest star, list three pieces of music likely to be rattling the bulkheads of your beloved vessel! 

Blues Saraceno - Dogs of War

Down Like Silver - To The River

The Cinematic Orchestra - Arrival of the Birds 

Who is your all-time favourite author? How much, if at all, has their work influenced your writing style? 

Terry Pratchett - well, every original sci fi I'm writing morphs into a comedy, whether I like it or not... (see "Strange Alloys"...) 

Of everything you've written, which piece is your favourite? 

I don't play favorites... but if I absolutely had to choose, Escape from Central City would at least make it in the top 3. 

Pitch the above story to us. Make us really want to read it! 

After their capture, Virdon and Burke find themselves in a world where intelligent, talking apes are the masters, and humans are regarded as animal pests. They seem to have found an ally in a young chimpanzee scientist, but when their escape attempt goes horribly wrong, their former ally is tasked with their execution... Can they convince her to let them go? (Planet of the Apes fanfiction) 

To what extent does the mythical 'real life' influence your writing? 

It interrupts it... 

If you could have any superpower, what would that be and why? 

Time-freeze. Imagine: the world around you is in suspension while you write away, nobody talks to you, you're never late for work, you can paint moustaches on people's faces with a non-erasable marker... 

What would you do if you woke up to discover you were Superman? 

Uh... go for a flight? Find a sidekick? Can't I be Deadpool instead? 

The Technological Singularity presents a rather daunting, some say inevitable, future. Does the prospect of that level of artificial intelligence excite you, or leave you quaking in your space boots? 

I, for one, welcome our new AI overlords... 

Who was your first Sci-Fi crush? Who is your current one? 

Captain Kirk (sigh; I was five). Today? Malcolm Reynolds... I have a type, it seems. 

If you could experience the world of any Sci-Fi story on Wattpad, which would that be and why? 

Is it very self-indulgent if I say, my own? Yes? Okay... 

And finally, any words of wisdom to new and aspiring Sci-Fi writers? 

Keep the sci fi and the fantasy separate. You know, like in a separate fridge for meat and for milk. No space vampires or god-like beings of light (I'm looking at you, Star Trek!)                     

***

And if YOU want the chance to feature as a Tevun-Krus Spotlight Author, check out the external link to find out how!