24.

We walked back towards the party to avoid any suspicion

We walked back towards the party to avoid any suspicion. I immediately went for the bar, this time not asking for a soda but a glass of wine, while Thor continuously slammed one beer after the other. At one point in time, the two of us got separated by friends, leaving us both drifting apart from each other towards different areas of the penthouse. 

Steve found his way to me again, pulling me towards the dance floor a second time that night. We danced for a while, laughing as we both failed to pull off even the simplest of dance moves like a bunch of idiots until Natasha came in and stole me away from him. 

She pulled me to a small lounge area, where she sat me down on the love seat and pushed a new glass of red wine in my hand. She looked at me knowingly, clearly waiting for me to speak, but I silently sipped my drink instead. 

"What?" I asked after several minutes of her intensely gazing at me, "don't look at me like that!" 

"I can't believe you're keeping me in the dark here," she shouted over the music, "How are things with thunder boy?" 

"What do you mean?" I asked innocently, trying to hide my smile behind the glass. 

"Oh please," She rolled her eyes, "Did you forget I'm an assassin? I see everything, you know? Including that little moment you two just had out on the balcony." 

She nudged me and winked, causing me to nearly choke on my drink. 

"Don't give me that look, sweetheart. I didn't need to see that to know. He's been nothing but smiles from ear to ear for the last two days and it hasn't rained or even been somewhat cloudy once." 

"So?" I asked. 

"It's New York City," She stated, "Come on, you can tell me! I'm happy for you guys. Kind of jealous, but very happy." 

"Jealous? You clearly didn't see the look on Bruce's big green face when he saw your video log in the Quinjet on Sakaar," I nudged her back, "That's gotta be worth something, right? Besides, Thor is an actual God and I'm... not? I may have some abilities, but I'm still very much human and very much mortal." 

"Sounds to me like you think about this stuff a lot." She said as she straightened out her dress. 

"I have thought about it, yes," I found Thor, laughing loudly at something Tony said, "He's too great for me. Is that even possible?"

Natasha's eyes followed mine across the room, where the God of Thunder and the birthday boy were sharing laughs while drinking. Several agents joined them and they began having a drinking contest; who could chug a glass of beer the fastest won. The prize? Another glass of beer.