54.

A/N: I will let you know when in the chapter, but please listen to the song! It will give you a bit of an insight to the night. Thank you!! But on with the story!!

Theo's POV:

"And that's the history of how the airplane was invented. Hard to believe life without them. Am I right?" I nodded my head along to the old man, whose name I had seemed to forgotten through the boredom, ramble on.

"Yeah that's so crazy." I chuckled but turned my head to subtly let out a yawn I'd been holding in the whole time I'd been listen to the elderly man. As I was letting out what had to be the longest undercover yawn I caught glimpse of someone arriving at the steps who looked so much like Amaya that it was crazy.

I turned back to the old man and let him yammer on for another few seconds. Earlier today my mother persisted on me being nothing but polite, and also reminded me multiple times that she had Amaya's fate in her hands. She was the whole reason I was willingly listening to my mother. My mother's "proposition she offered earlier today also didn't help settle my mind any.

Just thinking back to our little chat had me wanting to rip my hair out. My mother made our deal even worse. As if having Amaya's academic future in my hands wasn't enough, she added yet another playing piece to her evil playing board.

I roll my eyes and take a swig of drink in my hand.

Yes. it was alcoholic beverage, but in truth, I needed it. Like to see you try and get up the courage to dump the one good thing that's ever happened to you.

Yeah...you heard that correctly. I was going to break up with Mya tonight. I didn't have a choice, not with everything my mother had over me. I sigh as I close my eyes and remember how my mother had, well in her own words "sweetened the deal ."

Earlier this morning:

"My dearest Theo," Her grin went from innocent to devilish within the snap of a finger. I immediately knew she was up to something. Possibly something worse than usual. "I have a proposition for you."

I sighed, knowing this could only mean trouble.

"What more could you possibly want from me?" I questioned as I positioned both my elbows on my knees and let out a tired yawn.

Her devilish smirk made a quick reappearance and cleared her throat almost like she was excited to share her newest and juiciest piece of information. I already knew it was going to be something negative, and by how excited she was about breaking the news, I already knew it was something about Amaya. She truly was a sick woman, and I don't think I'd ever know why she was this way or why she seemed to despise a girl she barely knew. I also knew I'd never ask.

"Well you see, Theo I had my private detective look into your little girly friend." She got up from the couch and went over to a row of books.

She reached up and snatched a manilla folder that had been sandwiched between two rather large red volumes of encyclopedias. With eager hands she flung open the portfolio and tossed it to me with a grin.

Thankfully the papers were all held together or else I'd be left picking them all off the ground at this moment.

"Take a look at that."

I cautiously picked the folder up and held it in my hands. Inside the flaps had to be at least fifteen to twenty papers. The immediate factor I noticed about the top paper of the large stack was the long, mile-long list of numbers. I tossed the folder back onto the table and relaxed back into the couch. I felt like we were going to be here a while.