The Air Ship, The Time Jump, and The Mummy

Start from the beginning

I followed his gaze and leapt from my chair to see a large contraption floating towards us through the sky.  The sun glinted off the metal gears and frame of this enormous vehicle, temporarily blinding us and hiding other parts of the moving behemoth from view.

The three of us were stunned and we watched as it loomed closer and descended from the heavens.   The sounds of excited voices and commotion on the lawn of the house spurred us into action.  Flying down the stairs of the house and spilling out on the lawn, we ended up joining the gathering of people employed by my parents.  We all gazed upwards as the almost silent, giant, bird-like vehicle landed close to us.  I was the first to run forward as it settled on the front lawn.

"Uncle Hiram!"  I wildly waved my arms to get his attention.  He held out his arms to me and that was all I needed.  As the stairs descended, I mounted them and at the top entered the bridge, the command room of the structure.  "Uncle Hiram I must speak to you privately."  I said covertly.

He nodded, "I'll see to it." 

He was aware of my adventurous spirit and I'm sure he could guess why I wanted to speak to him.  It would have to wait and we both knew it.  I followed my Uncle down the stairs and the crew was behind me.  It did not escape my notice that Uncle Hiram had hired a new man.  He had a very appealing smile, and beautiful green eyes.

Dinner was a proverbial feast prepared by the house staff and the conversation revolved around Uncle Hiram's recent adventures.   He told us of his latest case, which involved time jumping.  This was always my favorite part.  He was hired to go back in time to make sure a baby was born.  A couple with no children, and the husband loved his wife so much he hired my Uncle to make sure their only son was a live birth.  It was a heartwarming story.  Uncle Hiram was prepared with a midwife at hand to skillfully unwind the umbilical cord from the baby's neck and allow the baby to live.  He visited the couple and of course because past history had been changed they didn't know him, but he saw the three of them as a happy family.

After dinner my father went to retrieve brandy and cigars for my Uncle and himself, telling him he would meet him on the veranda.  Now was my chance and I followed my Uncle outside.

"Uncle Hiram!" I whispered, "I want to leave with you in the morning."

He smiled widely, "Nothing would please me more, and how do you intend to convince your mother and father?"

I stood very close to him, "After everyone goes to bed, I will hide away on the dirigible and in the morning I will have someone say I am ill and won't be attending breakfast."

"That won't work; your mother will not be denied access to a sick child. I will create a diversion after breakfast and you will board the airship quickly.  You may wave from the bridge as we leave."  He started to laugh so hard he began to cough.

 I was patting his back and asking if he was all right when my father arrived with the brandy and cigars.

"Hiram! Are you all right?" My father asked.