15 | truths

A thousand moments that I had taken for granted,
just because I had assumed that there would be a thousand more.

Sunday - 6:12pm

A hundred years would be too less to prepare Ibrahim Yazdani for the situation he was going to encounter in a few seconds and yet, he held his place, head held high as he faced every surprise life threw at him. Every inch of his heart begged him to run, run as far away as possible, but the last shred of sanity pleaded him to stay, and stay he did.

Connection?" Ibrahim, however, would not have expected Ali's statement in a million years, "What kind of connection?"

Ibrahim saw Ali heaved a deep breath as he waited for the waiter to place their order on the table, each second nothing but a burden to Ibrahim's heart which had stopped beating altogether after Ali's declaration.

"Yes, connection. I don't know if it is a coincidence or not, but well, they are somewhat related." Ali said and Ibrahim's eyes narrowed before he shook his head, worry lacing his forehead.

"Family related?" Ibrahim asked with dread filling his guts; the last thing he wanted right now was to encounter some connection between the two women.

God, he would not be able to handle that.

"No, not family related." Ali sipped his coffee while he answered; making Ibrahim exhale a breath he did not know he had been holding, "Related in some other way."

Ali's words did little to ease the growing palpitations of his heart, it only added to the ache that had already scarred it a little too much. God, he already had a little too many regrets and complications in his life - he sure as hell could not bear a new one.

"What way, Ali?" Ibrahim asked, voice louder this time, patience slipping by gradually.

"You know Hemayal's cousin?" He asked as he took another sip; Ibrahim's tea however untouched and turning cold.

"Mehmal?" Ibrahim asked spontaneously, no idea where the conversation was heading.

"Yes, her." Ali said, too slow as he revealed layers of secrets he had known for a while now.

"What happened to her?" Ibrahim asked, impatience the only thing audible in his voice.

"She is Humna's colleague." He disclosed and Ibrahim's eyes widened before a loud sigh left him, leaning slowly back in his seat as the brown lids closed momentarily.

Every inch of him radiated relief.

"This is it?" He asked after a moment, shoulders sagged, as if a huge burden had been lifted from it.

"This is only just the beginning, brother mine." Ali's slow words halted his moments of relief with a soft noise that sure belonged to his heart stopping fractionally, instead pumping danger and threat with each beat.

"Ali, should I be worried?" Ibrahim asked after a moment, the now cold tea still untouched.

"I don't know how much involved you are in this case, but well, I think you should be." Ali's words did little to ease his worry that had come to become permanence in him.

"What more is there?" He asked, bracing himself for the worst, hoping along the way that the damage it would inflict would almost be repairable.

"They live in the same area. Hemayal's family house and Humna's temporary residence are in the same area, even the same street." Ali disclosed the second piece of information, this one unsettling the pieces of puzzle Ibrahim used to think he had already made up in his mind.