Chapter 15- Disobeying

It was silent. Only the crickets and the random snaps of branches inside of the forest could be heard. That and the shuffling of Rick, sidekick one and two, and myself. Rick and I walked beside each other in the centre of the road while the sidekicks trotted behind us.

Where we were walking, I didn't know. I had made some stupid lie about our camp somewhere up the road. We had literally spent all day walking away from the city we were currently striding towards. At this point all I wanted to do was lay down and sleep forever. I knew I'd probably have a raging nightmare but still, I was so exhausted that the bags under my eyes were growing bags.

Then it dawned on me. I didn't have a nightmare last night, or did I? I recalled my dream with Marsha and Julie. There was so much more that day, so much death and pain.

"Hurry it up." Sidekick-1 snarled behind us as he kicked the back of my heel, making me topple over.

I usually would have held my balance and made some stupid, snide comment, but I was so exhausted that I actually tripped and fell.

I stuck my hands out to prevent my face from smashing against the pavement. I crumpled to the ground and rolled onto my back when a boot collided into my side. A burst of pain exploded on my side and I brought my hands to my hip. I coughed and held my side as I tried to regain my strength. "What the hell?" I heard Rick angrily shout.

"Mariah, are you alright?" Rick asked softly as he bent down beside me.

I nodded and slowly reached down into my boot and pulled the knife out quickly, slid it up into the sleeve of my jacket. Rick watched me slowly and gave me a slight nod. He took my arms and gently pulled me to my feet.

"Dude, what the actual hell was that?" Sidekick-2 snarled at his 'buddy'.

"They're gonna die anyways. Why don't we just off them now. The girls still young, we could have some fun. Come on." Sidekick-1 suggested slyly.

My blood began to boil and I got the sudden urge to slip the knife out of my sleeve and drag it across his throat.

"Mariah." Rick whispered, laying a heavy hand on my shoulder.

I turned to him and his eyes looked down at my wrist. I gazed down and noticed dark red blood trickling down my wrist. I had gotten so angry that I had cut myself with this knife hidden in my sleeve.

"You're such an idiot." Sidekick-2 snapped as he slapped his partner on the head.

"We don't hit women. Not to mention she's defenceless and didn't do anything to provoke you. Now if you don't smarten up and behave yourself, I will personally punch you in the throat." Sidekick-2 threatened.

That seemed to silence sidekick-1. "Come on, let's get going." Sidekick-2 urged before walking at a slow pace.

We followed after them, Rick and I fell into pace behind them. Sidekick-1 walked in front of me while sidekick-2 walked in front of Rick. The moonlight guided us along the road for a while then it was blocked out by the heavy clouds of a storm.

It was so dark it was hard to see where we were going and I nearly tripped over the man that walked in front of me. Rick gently nudged my side and gave me a slight nod, as if he told me now was the time to strike.

So I did.

I hopped on the back of sidekick-1 and he growled in anger as I wrapped my arms around his throat. I heard Rick and sidekick-2 wrestling beside us and I knew Rick wasn't armed, but sidekick-2 was.

Without hesitation I raised the knife to sidekick-1's throat. I was surprised however, when he threw me off of him. It's like he got a random surge of power and turned into the hulk for a moment cause I was stuck to him like glue earlier.