home of a prince | 0.03

I sighed as I took Zen's hand, giving it one firm shake. Eh, what the hell? What's the worst that could happen?

"I'll go."

~~~

I hate carriages. And wagons. And boats. Anything that moved other than my own two feet. I would much rather travel on foot, or even by horseback, but Zen refused. Instead, I'm being forced to ride in a wagon alongside Zen and Shirayuki back to the castle. I couldn't complain about the view, though. Clarines really is quite beautiful.

I sat quietly, watching the scenery pass by as I listened to Zen and Shirayuki talk amongst themselves. My interest piqued when I heard Zen ask about the upcoming herbalist exam. 

"You're an herbalist, Red?" I asked, interrupting their conversation. Shirayuki looked up, giving me a closed-eyed smile.

"Yes, I am! I've been working with herbs most of my life," she said, cheerfully. "Now, I'm hoping to become a court herbalist and work in the castle."

"So you don't live in the castle?"

"Well no," she said, her smile faltering slightly, "but I visit often!"

I had just assumed she lived in the castle. How else could she and the prince be so close?

"If you don't mind me asking, how do you know each other?" I asked, my curiosity getting the better of me. 

"I don't mind telling you. After all, we're going to be seeing a lot of each other" Shirayuki said with a smile. "I am actually from Tanbarun. I lived and worked there as an herbalist. I even have my own pharmacy-- Or, I did. A soldier from the castle came to my shop one day and said that I was requested by Raji, the prince of Tanbarun."

My brows knit together as I listened to her story. "What did the prince want?"

"He wanted me to become his royal concubine. When I refused, he decided he was going to force me to do so."

"Wait. You were forced to be a concubine?" I asked, my eyes wide with disbelief. My blood boiled at the very thought. "What kind of sick bastard would do such a thing? He has the nerve to call himself a prince?"

"Vela! Calm down, it's fine," Shirayuki said, waving her arms as if to ward off my anger. "I left Tanbarun and met Zen in the woods along with Mitsuhide and Kiki. I've never been happier."

My eyes narrowed in confusion. "Who and what-now?"

"My other aides," Zen clarified. "But I prefer to think of them as my partners."

"Will I be working with them as well?" I asked, struggling to keep my voice steady. The thought of working with others unnerved me. Now I am to be working with partners, plural?This might be harder than I thought.

"Yes, you will be working with them, and me as well. That is if you decide to become one of my aides," Zen said, giving me a sideways glance.  I rolled eyes and turned my attention back to the window. I agreed to accompany Zen to the castle but I never agreed to become an aide. I was still unsure, not really trusting myself to make the decision. 

The prince seemed trustworthy but this wouldn't have been the first time my trust was misplaced.

I didn't have anymore time to dwell on my thoughts as the castle came into veiw.

"Holy shit," I breathed, my eyes widening as I took in the large view for the first time. "It's huge!" I couldn't help but admire the tall towers and elegant brickwork. It was as impressive as it was intimidating.