thirty-one

Hozier
••• Eat Your Young •••

get somepull up the ladder when the flood comesthrow enough rope until the legs have swung seven new ways that you can eat your young

get some
pull up the ladder when the flood comes
throw enough rope until the legs have swung
seven new ways that you can eat your young

•••••

TW: thalassophobia, acrophobia, mentions of vomit

mumma:
Update?
Sent 7.08am

Me:
safe and sound! :D
Delivered

mumma:
Perfect! Thanks for telling me sweetie xxx
Sent 7.09am

  As safe and sound as someone can be twenty-thousand feet underwater. It was a wonder I even managed to get a signal. I tucked my phone into my pocket and returned to watching out the window as we descended the deep blue.

  It'd been seven hours since we were caught by Ronin's airship before we could meet our fiery doom, and I'd only recently stopped shaking. The ninja around me snored and slumbered deeply. Sleep evaded me still.

  I hoped that encountering some sharks or even a whale would distract me, but nothing swum past to interrupt the endless blue abyss. I stared out into the desolate water. Lloyd's thin and swallow face stared back, branded into my eyes.  

  This was the endgame. This was the last stretch, one last push for victory. Either we get the Realm Crystal before Morro does or Ninjago falls into ruin. Either we get Lloyd back or we never do. Neither option was negotiable - we had to win.

  I was growing antsy. We'd been stuck in the airship for hours, but I was the only one watching the minutes sluggishly drift by. I wish sleep would take me, if only to pass the time. I was jealous of the team's ability to pass out at will.

  Jay mumbled in his sleep and patted around the floor beside him before landing his palm on his girlfriend's face. Nya awoke, slapped his hand away, and slipped right back asleep. I smiled.

  I wished Lloyd was here. I was certain I'd be able to sleep if his comforting presence was laid beside me in this cramped space, and that this entire thing was an exciting adventure instead of a dreadful quest.

  Curled in my corner, I pulled out my phone again and scrolled through our photos. I gazed at my photos of him and daydreamed about what we'd do when all this was over; I'd take him to a spa to get a massage or have a sauna. Maybe we'd go to that lake he showed me and we could nap beneath the afternoon sun - anything to make him feel safe and relaxed and at peace. Anything to help him get past this hell.