Chapter 1

The ringing of the bell echoing throughout the Academy announced to all the end of the day's class. The chattering began once again in the hallways of the lecture building as students slowly streamed out of their classrooms. Among these students exist the rare upperclassmen (fifth year students and above) since it is one of those weeks that they're required to return to the classrooms to learn. At the Academy exists a policy that for students in their fifth year or above they are not required to attend class every other weak, allowing them opportunity to complete quests or hunt monsters in order to bestow valuable combat experience.      

As Loganel exited the classroom alongside Tetsuya, Tetsuya stretched his back, still unused to sitting in a seat for such a long duration of time.

"Look," Tetsuya pointed out towards the bulletin board by the classroom door that they had just exited out of. "The results of last week's test is out. Let's go check."

Loganel followed Tetsuya over to the bulletin board with numerous students crowded before it, checking their scores. Loganel began scanning the large piece of paper for his score and was quite satisfied that it was at the very top, meaning that he scored higher than all his classmates.

"I don't get it," Tetsuya sighed. "I'm supposed to be the Summoned Hero, but I just can't get a good score in this Holy Magic course. Besides, why is it that you're scoring so high?"

"I just review the concepts when I have time," Loganel responded, thinking back on the afternoons that he had spent in the library reading over discoveries on Holy Magic.

"Looks like you're really serious about dispelling that curse," Tetsuya smiled. 

"Of course I am," Loganel said with a sad smile on his face as he stared into his hands. "But for some reason I just can't use Holy Magic anymore..."   

Tetsuya remained mute as he sensed a sudden serious tone from Loganel. He then redirected his gaze from Loganel back to the score board. In the past year, for some reason Loganel couldn't conjure up any Holy Mana anymore. Instead, his main Mana type began to shift towards Dark. In other words, Loganel's affinity is in Dark magic, the magic type that creates curses, rather than the magic type that cures it.

"All I have are knowledge on these concepts..." Loganel made a fist with his hand. 

"Don't worry," Tetsuya patted Loganel on the back. "You learn the concept, create the cure, and I'll do the dispelling." Tetsuya smiled at Loganel as he looked up towards him. "I am the Summoned Hero after all, you know. I'm blessed by the Goddess and everything."

"I'll be counting on you then." 

Tetsuya's words were able to extract a smile from Loganel, cheering him up and eradicating the gloomy look from his face.   

"So what're your plans for after school?" Tetsuya asked as the two of them walked down the hallway of the lecture building, headed towards the stairs so that they may leave.

"I have somewhere I need to go," Loganel said with a faint accomplished smile on his face. "A promise to fulfill."

"Is that so? Then go for it then. I'll be with the others then."

"See you."

The two each went off in opposite directions as they arrived at the entrance of the lecture building. After parting with Tetsuya, Loganel headed straight for the school entrance and onto the busy streets of Astalan. He had a destination in mind, a place that he often visits but always only looking from the outside towards the second story balcony. This place is the store Sister Lori's located within the red-light district.

Loganel had promised a worker within that store that he'll buy her freedom a year ago. Now, he finally has enough money to fulfill his promise to her. Due to sudden and unexpected events that occurred in the past year, money came in slower than Loganel had expected, so he's somewhat doubtful about whether or not they still remember his promise. However, Loganel still wanted to try. He doesn't want to give up before trying.