Chapter Twelve

Gabriel's POV:

A long time had passed since I last saw Lara, my mate, who I had rejected four years ago. It had played on my mind for many years, a lot of regret and remorse plaguing my whole being.

As I grew older and wiser, I realised how immature and despicable I had been to her.

The last two years, I had been searching for her, her family unwilling to provide any details or information on where I could find her. I was furious at first, when Reed had denied me access to his territory.

My wolf wanted to invade his pack and start a war because of his noncompliance. He was as enraged with Reed as he was with me, my wolf always wanted Lara, he was possessive and infatuated with her.

The power of a mate connection was inconceivable and unimaginable. My wolf cherished her before even knowing her, he could just feel his undying devotion to his mate.

I couldn't blame Reed and the rest of the Blood Walkers for refusing me, their Beta Dylan had used the word rejected when we spoke. He had purposely done it, using my own actions against me, to spite me.

I knew that if I were to act upon my wolf's wishes, Lara would be pushed further away. Starting a war with the pack she called home, wouldn't change, or alter her opinion of me.

Instead, I called and travelled around the country in search of her, but I never caught onto her scent, or even her. I had slowly found myself losing sight of my own pack, not focussing, or protecting them like an Alpha should.

My father took back his title for a while, demanding that I sort myself out.

When I was eighteen, I didn't see the future and just wanted to live in the present moment. I took the opportunity of having a mate for granted, not valuing her the way I should have. It was pure arrogance and pride, and I only had myself to blame.

I couldn't fathom at the time how the devastating impact of rejection would affect my mate, myself, and my pack.

Selfishly, I wanted, no needed her forgiveness. I thought about her often, and I knew that if I ever found her, that I would never let her go.

I had matured since then, focussing more on my pack and expanding my territory. It was restored back to its respectful and admired reputation, and still the largest pack in America.

My thoughts were diverted back from a knock on my office door. I sat up further, reaching for the documents that scattered across my desk. I had just written up new alliance agreement for a neighbouring territory.

We were travelling the two-hour journey today with both my Beta and Third in Command accompanying me. Dan had insisted that we also bring along four other wolves, all warriors. He was never too careful.

I had left my head warrior in charge; it was a short journey which was kept quiet amongst my territory. I didn't want my pack members to worry that I would be away, so ensured that the meeting was kept confidential.

"We're all ready to go." Dan informed, stepping into my office.

I nodded, standing up from my chair, the paperwork now secured in a file. "Let's move then. I have already notified Daniel that we would be on our way, arriving within the next two hours or so."

"Alright, I'll meet you down there. I'm just going to say goodbye to Charlie and Tilly." Dan replied, a smile on his face at the mention of his mate and daughter.

Jealousy is a strange yet powering emotion, its compelling. It was laughable that I felt that despair, I had rejected my mate, Dan hadn't. He had found Charlie while we were in Vegas, visiting an old friend of mine.