Chapter 27

Craig POV

The wildlands.

A place completely unmapped and unknown, entirely free from the system we had grown up in. There could be any number of crazy things out there and we're about to just walk right in.
How am I supposed to protect Tweek when a mountain lion attacks us!? Or a bear!?

"What are we gonna do about weapons or food?" Token asked from the back of the line. We were marching ourselves up the canyon following the small trickle of stream toward the ocean.
"We'll just have to make them then won't we" Kenny said jumping over a rock and catching himself before falling into the stream "we'll have to do everything ourselves from now on"

Tweek caught the back of my jumpsuit as he slipped and I spun quickly catching him in my grasp, his shaded green eyes gloss over mine and we stare at one another for a  moment before he lets go and we keep walking. my heart is beating in my throat and I'm not sure when Kenny somehow became the leader, but there he was taking the helm and marching us to supposed freedom.

I look up at the rough canyon walls over us and I can't help but feel slightly uneasy as i speak up "guys, this is a shitty vantage point. They could easily pick us off with machine guns from up above. We should get higher ground, its not safe"

Kenny nodded up ahead "right, but if we go along the edge of the canyon they might see us and kick us into it. Either way, we end up down here"

Tweek gulped and shook, there was a strong chance we would die down here before ever reaching the wildlands. With a slow and steady exhale I know there's a fifty - fifty chance this will be the end of the road. My thoughts are broken when Token speaks at the back "how are we supposed to get across the channel? Swim? Isn't there sharks and vaporoids in the water?" Kenny shook his head "we don't swim.." He jumped onto another rock and climbed up in to the other side "we build a raft and sail it across" he declared.

Craig snorted "hey genius, look around you. How are we supposed to figure that out? We have no tools or a way to make one"
Kenny turned as the others climbed over the rocks he had just come down from "well if you have any bright ideas, please! Enlighten the class!"

Tweek jumped down behind Craig who caught his hand carefully as he spoke "what about stealing a boat?"

"Oh, well that's easier!" He groaned sarcastically.

Craig made a tsk' sound and sighed, rubbing his eyes with his free hands fingers, the other wrapped happily around Tweeks "if we get killed crossing the water it's all for nothing, at least if we have a boat we might even have tools and building materials for the other side we can use from it, or better yet, a place to sleep when we do manage to get there"

Token caught up, standing beside Craig and Tweek "it's a good idea Ken, we should at least try to find one first before we end up waisting calories we don't have building one"

Kenny groaned and waved his arm leading them down the rest of the ravine "fine, you guys know where we can conjour up a boat in the middle of nowhere? Be my guest" he was being particularly unreasonable.

Clyde slumped down on a boulder next to Token and gave him a look of pure exhaustion, it made Token smile sympathetically and pat his back "it's alright, not too long now, we'll be out of this"

Craig frowned pulling Tweek gently by the hand over the rocky surfaces " I hate to break it to you guys, but this is just the start. We have to get a boat, or build one, sail it across, find food start a life and avoid carnivores.." he felt a tap on his sleeve and turned to see a shaky nervous looking Tweek innocently and silently begging him not to go on. Craig sighed and pulled him in closer, his arm over Tweeks shoulder as he lead him, calling back to Token and Clyde "but hey! We can have a house warming wildlands party, and I know Kenny makes some real good moonshine" he chuckled a little.

A shrill voice called from the front of the line "damn right I do!"