Epilogue

Cotswold, England 1824

"Mama! Look at me!"

I glance at my daughter Isabelle as she dashes through the meadow, her cheeks painted rosy by countless summer days encompassed by blissful sunshine. I adjust my eyes to the scenery around me, and breathe a sigh of gratitude.

I had been quite eager to leave Lady Caroline's estate after Henry's confession. When James had proposed marriage once again, I was wary at the prospect of beginning a life with a man I barely knew, but his kindness and his steadfast friendship and loyalty had prevailed in the midst of betrayal and agony.

Shortly after our marriage, I reclaimed my inheritance and against Lady Dorothea's wishes -- travelled to Madrid to visit my Aunt Eloise for our honeymoon. Afterwards, we pursued my dream of traveling the world by staying in Italy, Scotland, France, and even India. When we returned to England, we settled in Cotswold: a cozy village where James and I established a small school for illiterate village children. We also found ourselves quite immersed in the abolition movement, producing and distributing books and tracts around England for the sake of ending the evil institution of slavery. In quick succession, we had our beloved children: Charles, Maria, Arthur, Isabelle, Edward, and newborn baby Eloise.

"Maria, Charles, don't wander too far downstream," I shout, casting my children a warning look. Charles, Maria, and Arthur wade in the brook looking for shells, Maria holding her skirts above her ankles and Charles and Arthur rolling up their breeches past their knees. The two middle children sit sprawled at my feet under the cool shade of a parasol, reading books and playing with toys. I smile, cradling baby Eloise closer to my chest affectionately.

I am glad that my children have the privileged upbringing I once yearned for, but we continue to treat them so that they never look down on their supposed "inferiors".

My husband swoops in from behind me, giving me a start as he pulls Isabelle and Edward into his arms, to which they giggle and squeal delightedly.

"Papa!" The other children shout from the creek, dropping their hunt for shells and sprinting up the side of the hill.

"Good morning, my love," James smiles, planting a gentle kiss on my cheek as he pulls me into a light embrace.

"Morning? It's nearly two o'clock!" I tease, beaming up at him.

"Really? I suppose I got caught up at the school." James says apologetically, "Did you see this in the paper, by the way?" He passes me a wadded up newspaper gossip column, and I unravel it gingerly.

Inside it reads:

Henry Oliver Caldwell has squandered his fortune, and avoided bankruptcy by fleeing to the West African Coast, where his family once owned property. Unfortunately, he has fled his wife, Lady Letitia Caldwell, who is reported to be at least twenty years senior to Henry Caldwell. They married for convenience and money, but it is reported from sources close to the family that Henry Caldwell has managed to spend all of his wife's inheritance.

I abruptly fold the paper, and then stare down at it sitting idly in my hands, sadness coursing through me. I do not regret breaking off my engagement to Henry, nor do I regret marrying James. I do feel for my old childhood friend, though, and pray that he can find some inner peace to sustain him, as well as some source of genuine and lasting happiness just as I have.

~~~

Later that night, I lie beside my husband, listening to his silent breaths as I roll over on my side, gazing out the frosty windowpane. Dainty moonbeams dance on the walls, and starlight illuminates our small, quaint bedroom. This is the best time of day, just before I fall asleep and know that the life I have become immersed in is real -- not a far-fetched dream. I turn over, leaning on my husband's shoulder, craning my neck to gaze upon his peaceful countenance. Without warning, his wide eyes flutter open, and I notice there are specks of gold scattered within them.

"What are you thinking about, my love?" He questions, "Did the newspaper column upset you terribly?"

"No, it did not," I grin, "I was just remembering how much I love you, and what a blessed woman I am to call you my husband."

His eyes crinkle gently with a smile, and I bring my hand to his face, feeling the stubble along his chin.

"Are you happy, Mrs. Aldridge?"

Despite our ten years together, I feel myself blush furtively, bringing my hands back to my cheeks.

"I am happiest I've ever been." I reply.

And it's the truth.

~~~

And... it's done! I sincerely hope everyone reading this enjoyed my first wattpad story as much as I liked writing it. It was written for fun without any editing when I was in high school, so please excuse the plot holes, grammar mistakes, etc., etc. XD

Thank you so much for reading, and hopefully you can check out my next book: Daughters of the King, another historical fiction book I am super excited about. It's going to be a lot longer than this one, and personally I think I like it a lot more.

And... thank you so much for the support once again! Each comment and vote means so much to me. I love you guys so much!!! <3 <3 <3

Check out my newest book: 'OUR WAY,' a gripping mystery/romance about a sheltered girl and the mafia in 1950s New York City.