ten - why are you talking like one of us is dying?

Lyra's phone rang beside her, startling her

Lyra's phone rang beside her, startling her. She put down the book she was reading and picked it up, surprised to see Chris' name floating at the top. They were on the set of Captain America: Civil War and he definitely should've been filming.

"What's up, babe?" Lyra asked casually, figuring he must've been on a break or something. As soon as she paused for a moment, though, she could hear him breathing raggedly and immediately knew he was either on the verge or right in the middle of a panic attack.

"I... I don't know why... I don't know where it came from... but I can't.... breathe. Where... are you?" his voice came through the phone, sounding small.

"I'm in the trailer. Where are you, Chris?" she asked, standing and putting shoes on by the door.

"I'm... on my way there," he told her, and she stepped outside to see him quickly walking towards her.

He climbed the stairs quickly, shutting the door behind him and then launching himself into her arms. He was much taller than her and it was hard for her to hold him properly while standing so she pulled him to the couch and made to pull him down.

He shook his head, pulling the top part of his Captain America costume over his head and tossing it to the floor and then collapsing into her waiting arms on the couch. His undershirt was soaked with sweat, partially from being on set and partially from the panic attack and she pulled it over his head, tossing it onto the floor with his costume so that she could trace circles over his bare back with her fingertips, something she'd learned early on in their relationship comforted him greatly.

"Talk to me, Christopher. Are you okay?" she whispered, her lips right beside his ear. Goosebumps rose over his neck and back and she kissed his jawline softly.

"I'm... okay. I just... I don't know what happened but I just needed you," he whispered back, leaning his head on her shoulder.

"It's okay, little babe. I'm here," she told him, squeezing him. He sighed heavily, flopping onto his back and putting his head in her lap.

He looked up at her, his cheeks tear-stained and his eyes tired. She played with his hair and his eyes closed, one of his muscular arms reaching up to hold gently onto the back of her neck while the other dangled off the edge of the couch.

Her phone pinged with a notification and she picked it up to see that it was Sebastian.

"They said you can take a break for a few hours if you need to," Lyra relayed to Chris and he nodded, keeping his eyes closed.

"Okay," he mumbled. "I'm going to... nap. I love you," he finished, barely coherent. It sounded like he was maybe already mostly asleep. She wasn't surprised; he usually followed up a panic attack with a nap. She, on the other hand, usually followed hers up with a pint of ice cream and the cringiest romantic comedy she could find on Netflix.

"I love you too, sweet thing," she whispered back, knowing full well he couldn't really hear her.

•••••

Chris woke about an hour later. His head was still nestled in Lyra's lap and when his eyes slid open she smiled down at him, putting down her book.

"Feel better?" she asked, and he nodded. He sat up slowly, stretching out his limbs.

"Thank you, Ly," he told her, looking at her with intensity in his eyes.

"You're welcome, babe. You know I'm always here for you," she said quietly, smiling warmly as he reached up to stroke her cheek with his thumb.

"You're the most amazing fucking girl I've ever met, you know that?" he asked her, and she giggled.

"You're the most amazing guy I've ever met, C. Why are you talking like one of us is dying?" she asked, making him laugh too.

"Because, I wasn't going to do this yet. I've known I wanted to for a long time, but I wanted to wait until the perfect moment. I was going to wait until the premiere but I don't think I can. The more I think about it, no time is more perfect than right now," he said, standing in front of her and taking both of her hands, pulling her up. She looked at him with wide eyes, confused. He got down on one knee and she gasped, clapping her hands over her mouth and shaking her head.

"Chris," she whispered his name, and when she looked down at him again there was a shadow of tears in his eyes.

"Lyra, you're the most special and amazing person I've ever met. No one makes me laugh like you, no one can comfort me and make me feel better like you can, no one compares to you. I've known for a very long time that I wanted to be with you forever; I knew it even before we were dating, and now I want you to be my wife, Ly. I don't have a ring yet because I wasn't going to do this yet but I love you so much, Lyra, and I want you to be my wife. Will you be my wife? Please?" he asked her, his voice quiet but steadier than she ever remembered hearing it. She sobbed, shaking her head.

"Are you sure?" she whispered, and he laughed.

"Yeah, I'm sure," he told her, nodding as he looked up at her, eyes sparkling.

"Yes, Chris, I'll marry you. Of course I'll marry you!" she told him, squealing when he flew to his feet and picked her up off the ground, twirling her and making her giggle. He sat her back down, kissing her.

"I love you," he whispered, his lips still resting gently on hers.

"I love you too. Forever," she whispered back, giggling as he kissed her again.

•••••

a/n: all this fluff is honestly so much fun to write but if you're someone who's more into drama, there's some coming very very soon so don't worry. 😉💜