Chapter 3

Chapter 3

"So that was Dane Carter's car huh? Would have thought being a Carter he'd have something flashier," comments Tory nearly making Emery choke on her beans. Her cheeks flare instantly and she knows although her mom won't pry she'd love to hear the details.  

"Yeah. He offered me a lift back," Emery replies speaking the truth-just not all of it.  

"I saw....I guess that's why you were so out of breath on the phone…Next time just tell me you're with your mate, okay honey? Then at least I won't be interrupting you two," Tory grins knowingly. Accustomed to thinking of her mom as more of her friend rather than a prison warden, Emery surprisingly doesn’t feel too embarrassed about her mom’s incredible intuition.

"I don't know if there should be a next time mom," confesses Emery. He still hasn't given her back her book and although she wants to believe him about him being completely committed to her from here on out, she’s still really very conflicted by the idea. 

"Why what's he done that's got broken your trust of him?" Tory asks. 

"Well he did ignore me and slept with other people when he even knew then that I’m his mate..." Emery says frowning.
They weren’t together so she supposes she has no right to feel angry by his conquests and it’s not like there were many notches being made on his bedpost-just one or two from what she’s heard; besides, he didn’t stop her from pursuing another relationship either...Even so…knowing she’s there and being with other girls? That doesn’t exactly follow his ‘only her’ declaration.
Even if she can move on from all that there’s still the ignoring. She can’t get over that. Not when he’s the one person she had always hoped wouldn’t ignore her, wouldn’t just walk past her, yet he did exactly that. So how can she possibly trust the interest he has in her now?   

"Did you ask him why he did that?" 
"Yeah. He said it's because I wasn't ready..." mumbles Emery.
Tory raises an eyebrow, “and are you now?”
Emery blushes darker, remembering just how ready she’d been earlier-crying out for him to…to-take her.
“Mom…” sighs Emery, yes she’s close to her mom but not that close, “I guess so. I mean, I don’t know.”
Tory inhales deeply, knowing that her daughter is long overdue for their talk on boys. With Emery being her daughter, Tory had thought that she’d be dating much sooner than she is currently. By the time Tory was a senior, she’d learnt a thing or two already about boys and teenage love. Emery though is far shyer.
“Sweetie, don’t feel intimidated, okay? If you don’t want to do something or you’re not sure about it-you tell him and you stop.-”
“Mom,” whines Emery rolling her eyes, “I know how to say ‘no’ to a guy.”
“This isn’t just some guy Emery,” sharply retorts Tory, “this is a Carter. They’re very sexual-it’s in their nature. And I’m sure Dane is a sweet boy but you make sure he respects you and waits for you, okay?”
“Yeah mom.”
“…But tell me, what changed his mind? Why does he think you’re ‘ready now’?” curiously pipes Tory.
Emery’s wide eyes flicker away from her mom’s eyes as her cheeks flush.
“Ugh…I’m not sure, mom,” she lies. The book, it has to be the book that’s changed Dane’s perception of her but it’s not like she’s going to tell her mom that.
Tory narrows her eyes playfully. One thing she’s grateful for is her daughter utter lack of ability to lie convincingly, “uh-huh, if you say so, sweetie.”

**** 

The next day Emery wakes up super early feeling surprisingly fearless. That night she’d decided that if Dane’s changing-then so is she. No more wallflower Emery. It’s time she starts to just be herself and wear what the hell she wants regardless of what she thinks people like Charlotte will say. Beside it won’t hurt in keeping Dane still interested in her either; because of course, if Dane really is going to keep his word and claim her as his then she wants to look worthy of the Carter brother.