Iron & Wine-Chapter Ten: A Night for Introductions

Chapter Ten-A Night for Introductions

I entered the old Irish pub and scanned the place for Julie. I spotted her in the back with Will and a few other people. They had nabbed a pretty good table. Close to the washrooms but close to the bar as well.

She saw me and waved me over. I headed towards them but then stopped after a few steps. A sudden shiver washed over my body, leaving a weird feeling like someone was watching me and, strangely, it was a familiar feeling. I glanced around to see if anyone was looking, but found no one, a few older men on slot machines and a couple of young people over by the juke box. I brushed it off and blamed my skittishness on my near death experience from earlier.

As I neared Julie I could tell from her face that Will had told her all about the fight between Max and me.

"Tell me everything! I can't believe you got in a fight with her," Julie exclaimed. "Are you okay though? Did you get all the glass out?" She was too over excited about this. Everyone was anxiously looking at us, waiting for me to dish the whole story. It was making me really uncomfortable.

"Hey, I think she's had enough excitement for one day," Will interrupted when he noticed my face. "How about we talk about Halloween? What’s the plan? It's only a couple of weeks away." I shot him a thankful look and he winked and smiled back.

Julie’s face saddened when she realized what just happened. "Oh, geez Avery, I'm sorry. I’m such an idiot sometimes.” She gave me a hug; it felt so good despite the small wounds that covered my back and arms. My day was filled with so much hate; it was comforting to be embraced by my best friend. "I was thinking about having a costume party at the apartment, actually," she mentioned, back on the topic of Halloween. "But only if Avery wants to."

"I like the sounds of that," Will chimed in. "I can help with the party if you need a hand." They both looked at me for approval, almost as if it were rehearsed.

"Uh, yeah sure, a party sounds fun. Is it okay if I invite Celadine?" I asked, suddenly thinking of my workaholic boss. She deserved to get out and party a little bit.

"Yeah, that would be cool," Julie replied. "Would she come to a costume party?"

"I'll make sure she does. Knowing her, she'll probably stay at home and work. I don't think she keeps that many close friends.” I thought of the great lengths she took to figure out what my favorite things were when she could have just asked. And I had never known her to spend time with anyone else outside of the gallery.

So we all agreed on the party and began planning decorations, food and the invite list while shooting a few games of pool. After an hour or so, Julie stood with her pool stick in hand, waiting for her go, and turned to me. "Hey, do you know that guy sitting at the bar?" She motioned with her head.

I looked in the direction that she was indicating. And my stomach clenched when my eyes landed on the jerk from the bus. He was turned around facing us with his back to the bar and his elbows behind him leaning on the counter. He was giving me a stupid look like he was about to laugh at me.