No Turning Back

I woke up feeling completely confused in an unfamiliar place, only to remember I stayed at the Curtis' house last night because they thought it'd be too dangerous for me to walk home at night.

I could smell food cooking so I got up and quietly walked to the kitchen to find Darry cooking breakfast, i tried to walk back to the sofa as quiet as I could but I heard him call after me.

"Sodapop is that you?" He poked his head out of the kitchen to see me walking back to the sofa.

"Oh Veronica it's you, I though it was weird for Soda to be up this early" He let out a deep laugh and followed me into the living room.

He came and sat on the end of the makeshift bed with me, picking up a pair of shoes of the ground and putting them on.

"Do you think you could do me a massive favour Veronica?"

I nodded in response way too tired to actually respond.

"I have to go to work now, the boys will probably be awake soon, I've made breakfast, could you serve it up for them.. oh and help yourself while you're at it." He stood up and grabbed a bag off the floor, he walked out before I was able to answer him.

I walked out to the kitchen plating up my own breakfast when I heard heavy footsteps down the stairs. Ponyboy and Johnny ran in ready to get food.

"Wait why are you here Johnny, I thought this was just for me, Ponyboy and Sodapop?" I asked in confusion.

"Everyone's here, accept for Dally of course." Ponyboy replied.

I remembered that I wanted to go looking for Dallas last night but Ponyboy wouldn't let me, I wanted to go out looking for him now and make sure he was okay but I know Ponyboy and Johnny would just tell me it would be a waste of time.

I was disconnected from my thoughts when I heard loud footsteps coming down the stairs for the second time this morning, Two-bit shot through the door and picked Ponyboy up swinging him around until he was shouting for Two-bit to stop. Johnny and I laughed at how stupid Two-bit was. Even though I didn't really know any of the guys that well I could tell that I'd end up being really good friends with Two-bit, he's the kinda person who could put you in a good mood no matter how bad you were feeling.

Seconds later Sodapop and Steve came through the door too, both wearing their work uniform. Everyone said their good mornings to each other before Steve spoke.

"So when's breakfast?" He asked walking over to the oven.

"Now, if ya'll go sit in the living room I'll bring it to ya." I said whilst putting bread into the toaster.

Everyone exited the room as quickly as they could, ready for their breakfast. Two-bit was the only one who stayed in the kitchen. He opened the fridge searching through before pulling out two massive slices of chocolate cake and a bottle of beer.

"What are ya doing Two-bit, Darry cooked ya'll breakfast." I said laughing at him.

Ponyboy shouted from the living room "Two and Steve refuse to start the day without chocolate cake, and Two thinks that beer is an essential part of your breakfast."

I shrugged, not even a slight bit surprised about it, I just plated up breakfast for the rest of the boys and took it out to them in the living room.

When everyone had finished Sodapop and Steve left for work and Ponyboy, Johnny and Two-bit were leaving for a walk, they asked if I wanted to join them but I thought I would help Darry by washing the dishes and cleaning the living room up a bit so that the house didn't look like a bomb had hit when he got home.

After cleaning I realised that I didn't even tell my family that I was staying at the Curtis' house so they were probably wondering where I was. I walked through town back to my house, I knew that as soon as I opened the door I would have hell from my mom for not telling her where I was last night. I was surprised when I opened the door to complete silence. I walked through into the kitchen where my mom was washing dishes and my father was reading the paper at the table.

My father looked up from his paper seeming surprisingly calm ."Hello sweetheart."

"Hey Dad.."

"Anything wrong sweetie?"

"No, I just thought you'd be mad about me not coming home last night."

"No, your mother and I think your at the age where you can start looking after yourself, as long as you're not gone for days on end then you're fine, just keep in touch." He smiled at me and went back to reading his paper.

I walked upstairs to my bedroom still pretty confused as to why my parents weren't going crazy at me right now. I decided that I wanted to go out for a walk around the greasers side of town to actually check out what was there, knowing I'd be spending a lot more time there seeing as that's where my new friends all were. But most importantly I wanted to look for Dallas.

I put on a short, flowing, baby pink dress with a blue denim jacket to fit in with the greasers better. I grabbed my purse and ran downstairs.

"Mom... Dad... I'm going out see you later!" I couldn't wait for a reply I slammed the door and walked down the street wondering where to look for Dallas first. I didn't know all that much about him so I had no idea where he could be, I remember Johnny telling me that he didn't really have a home and that he just stayed with different people every night, so I couldn't even look for him at his house because he didn't have one.

After going into several shops, parks, gas stations and diners I was just about ready to give up when I walked up to a big building with the sign 'BUCKS' just above it, so I decided to walk in and give it a go. There were a few people scattered around, mostly drunk middle aged men and a couple of groups of greasers. There was an empty stool near a small bar so I decided to give up and get a drink.

"Hey, I ain't seen you around here before, the names Buck." A guy came from around the corner with his arm stretched out to shake my hand.

"Hey, I'm Veronica, it's nice to meet you." I shook his hand and smiled weakly.

"Same goes. Can I get you a drink?" He asked while picking up a glass.

"Sure, I'll have some water."

He was probably expecting me to order alcohol but he shrugged and walked away to get my drink, he came back seconds later with my water in his hand, he set it on the bar and looked at me, probably noticing I was stressed out.

"What's bothering ya doll?" He asked sitting on a stool next to me.

"I'm just looking for a friend, we kinda fell out yesterday and he left and didn't come back, I've been most places in town and no sign." I shook my head and took a sip of my water.

"I know most people in this town, socs and greasers, give me name and maybe I can help ya."

"His name is Dallas Winston, he's pretty tall with messy brown hair-" I was completely cut off by Buck.

"Oh I know Dallas real well, up the stairs, second door on the left." He laughed in response to me.

"Thank you so much!"

I jumped up off my chair and made my way upstairs, I looked for the second door on the left like Buck said, I found it pretty quickly. I was nervous but I wanted to sort things out with Dallas, I knew he was a good person underneath, he wouldn't have helped me out the other night if he wasn't.

I knocked on the door and waited for somebody to open the door. The door creaked open slowly and there he was standing in the doorway. His eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"Veronica?"