Chapter Twenty- Nine: Persistence

~Terrine...

I kneeled down on to my right knee and looked Jacobi in his eyes. After a few minutes he cracked the broadest grin which led into a burst of laughter.

"I won" I said referring to the daily staring contests he insisted I play with him.

"No fair, you cheated" He giggled.

"Nope, I always win fair and square now promise me you'll be good to grandma while I'm gone"

He sighed. "Moooooom"

"Come on promise me, Cobi"

"I promise I'll be good ma"

I kissed his forehead. "Love you, handsome"

"Love you more mama.."

I stood to my feet and turned to find his grandmother standing behind me with a wash rag in her hands.

"I made breakfast" She said and I knew she was offering me some. It was so evident within her tone.

"I can't" I told her. "I have a really important meeting to attend and I can't be late"

"Meeting?"

"Yeah" I smiled. "I've been applying for some jobs for a while now and I finally got a call back"

"So your just gonna give up on medical school, just like that?"

I sighed. "Medical school costs money and things are way different from the way they were back in New York... I just gotta make sure I have enough money to pursue that dream again"

"So what happened to that cousin of yours? Isn't he helping you anymore?"

"I need to learn to start taking care of myself from now on...I rely on him way too heavily and now it's starting to take a toll on our bond."

"This wouldn't have anything to do with the fight you two had would it?"

I kissed her on the cheek before grabbing my purse off of the kitchen counter. "This has everything to do with the fight. See you later tonight"

"But--"

"Don't wait up" I shouted while sprinting out the door.

While on the freeway, my windows were down, my favorite CD was blasting through my speakers so my mind began to wander.

I was delighted about the interview I had gotten. Of course, I should've have been doing my residency at John Hopkins hospital like I planned but I will continue to think that there are different routes to achieving that goal.

Of late, I've just been having a terrible time with my emotions and containing them... If I hadn't decided to go and stay with jacobi's grandmother for a little while, I would have surely torn someone to shreds.

A couple days back, I walked in on some girl in ray's bed. Judging by the position her legs were in, she was obviously waiting for him.

This was the same exact girl I've been seeing repeatedly. This was the same girl I didn't like and the fact that she was in his bed, waiting on him like that sent me over the edge.

I didn't know what to think after I left his house but I surely gave ray a piece of my mind in a strongly worded text message.

I didn't know why I was so angry since I was the one that told him we should start again from the beginning but he knew what it was.

I didn't have to say aloud that yeah, we aren't together but we were together. Where our relationship landed was complicated but I thought he understood me.