His bottom lip quivered. "Oh, thank God. I thought I was too late." A tear slipped down his cheek.
He eased her up into a sitting position, the world still rotating. Her hand shot up to her throat, meeting a sticky liquid that clung to her palm in thick stands as she pulled away.

Black. Black blood painted her palm like a canvas.

"How—" She stopped herself when she saw a golf club covered in black goop in Lincoln's hands. On the ground beside her, the labrador twitched.
Lincoln wrapped her in a hug, stroking her hair with his hand. "I almost lost you." He sniffled, pulling her even closer to him.

She trembled in his arms, tears trickling down her cheeks. The damp, sticky heat at her throat served as a constant reminder of what just happened. Even his comforting embrace couldn't mend the damage done. Nothing could.

Muttering, along with the sound of phone cameras going off, surrounded the two.

"Is it dead?" a girl asked.

"What's wrong with it?" a gruff voice followed.

"Is she okay? Arryn is her name, I think."

Absent of any warning, the dog shot up beside them, sending the crowd scrambling back. A dunking sounded as a few people toppled into the pool in surprise. With lightning fast speed, the creature lunged toward Arryn. Rough hands pushed her out of the way, sending her face first into the damp grass. A bitter flavor settled in her mouth as a clump of dirt slipped past her teeth and onto her tongue. The soil moistened into mud, clinging to every surface in her mouth.

She spit the muddy soil out of her mouth, flicking her eyes back to where she sat seconds ago. The Labrador had Lincoln pinned, viciously snapping at his face. He tried raising his arms to protect himself, but the creature grabbed a hold of his sleeve and shook violently.

His scream echoed.

Lincoln scrambled for the golf club sitting just out of reach. He wouldn't reach it in time. The creature was too powerful.

Snapping out of her daze, she dove for the club. Her arm throbbed, the movement stretching the bruised muscle. But she didn't care. Saving Lincoln was worth the pain.

The dog seemed too transfixed on Lincoln to pay her any attention as she wrapped the club in her sticky palms. Raising to her feet, she readied her stance and took a hard swing. A high-pitched yelp let her know that she had successfully hit her target.
A snarl rang in her ears, the beast turning on her. Wine tinted foam mixed with the cream, seeping from the dog's jowls. An indent had formed on the animal's skull from where the club struck. Still, the creature advanced toward her, seeming angrier than ever.

The dog hunkered down, looking ready to pounce again. Malice lingered in its eyes. It wanted nothing more than to kill. Teeth flashed again. Horrible, bloodied teeth.

Arryn shuddered.

Placing one paw forward, the dog broke out in a run. Grass flew as the creature circled her, waiting to catch her off guard.

She swung, meeting only air. With a growl that sounded like a cocky laugh, the dog sprang at her.
A crack whistled through the air. The dog went limp midair, falling to the ground at her feet. A circular wound penetrated the skull, secreting the same black substance that covered her neck.

Austin stood in the doorway holding a small handgun. On his face, a bewildered expression lay as he stared at the dog in horror. Claire pushed past him, covering her mouth in shock as she saw them.
Sirens sounded in the distance. The crowd ignited into a blaze of whispers once more.

"I'm leaving. This party blows," a girl said, rolling her eyes. "Learn how to throw a party, Austin."

"Lincoln!" Arryn exclaimed, rushing over to him.
He was hurt and it was her fault.