I gave a small nod, and he seemed to understand, seeing the defeat in my eyes. He scouched onto the bed, pulling me into his side, I trembled at the contact. Alien feeling plagued me, and I suddenly felt very alert. He chuckled to himself, then bit into his wrist before raising it too my lips. "Drink" he instructed. 

My stomach was in knots, and I felt like I was going to be sick. Still, I closed my eyes and pressed my lips against his wrist. He gasped, though not from pain, from something else; the blood poured from the tiny wound, the coppery substances sliding over my tongue and down my throat as I sucked. 

After a moment I felt more alert, the pain in my ankle lessening, the aching in my muscles and joints receeding. My vision was sharp, my hearing my refined and before I knew it I was greedily sucking his wrist, drawing out more of the incredible liquid that seemed to have restored life to my aching bones. "Steady now" he said, prising his wrist away. 

I licked my lips, the faint taste still lingering on them. He stared transfixed at my lips for a moment, his eyes filled with something I was too naive to recognise. After that he looked away, his eyes reaching mine again. "Thanks" I said. 

"Feel better?" 

"Much, thank you" I said, looking at tiny features I had not previously noticed. I rose from the bed, testing the weight on my ankle and then leaping for joy around the room at being able to walk properly. I had not felt so alive in a long time, and it filled me with hope, happiness; even despite the dismal situation. 

He watched me oddly, I sighed, sitting on the floor, my back against the wall. I closed my eyes, think of the outside, the great countryside surround Rowhurst. When we were younger, they took us hiking up the mountains to strengthen us, you could see for miles, the sun would beat down and warm you, the wind blowing through my hair, If I squeezed my eyes shut hard enough, I could taste the fresh air again, the sweet mixture of nature and burning and rain all rolled into one, the air that filled my lungs, made me strong.

"Beatrice?" 
I snapped out of my daze quickly, opening my eyes and being brought back to reality. He studied me, as if trying to work me out. "What's wrong?" 

I didn't answer and he looked into my eyes, asking, "what's wrong?"

Something about his expression was off and his voice sounded different. "I can't force you" he said, talking aloud to himself.

"I beg your pardon?" I retorted. 

"I was trying to coerce you into telling me, but it didn't work, you didn't even notice!"

"How dare you!" I shouted, jumping to my feet and standing in front of him, "My mind is not yours to play with!"
"But it should of worked,  I don't understand, it always works"
"Keep out of my mind!" I hissed.

"That won't be a problem, I can't get in" he said.

"Good" I huffed. The audacity of it! 

I sat back on the floor and continued my day dream. "Tell me" he said softly.

"What?" 

"What's the matter?"
"You're really asking me that? While keeping me prisoner before I'm going to be sacrificed? You're asking what's wrong?"

He shrugged, "Yes"

"I was thinking of Rowhurst" I told him. It was difficult, to let go of a place that held so many memories.

"Do you miss it?"
"It's hard not too" I confessed, "whilst there I couldn't wait to leave, I thought this part of my life was going to be the best, hunting vampires, attending balls, maybe even falling in love. It seemed like a fairytale too me, slayers have different ideas about 'happily ever after', but every girl wants a knight in shining armour, no matter how strong she is, and now, despite everything I want to go back. It was simpler, I didn't have to worry there, things were taken care of for you, you just had to train"

He took this in and then got up, taking my hand and leading me from the room. "Where are we going?" I asked.

"You'll see" he grinned.

"Felix, I'm not dressed!" I pointed out, gesturing to the night gown. Again, he had selected lace, it was annoying me now, what happened to good old flannel? 

"Oh" he said, taking in my appearance again, his eyes lingering too long. "Well get changed and come out when your ready" 

I did that, struggling but just about managing with the corset strings. I joined him in the hall and he started jogging. "Follow me!" he called.

"Where are we going?" I replied.

"Don't be so damned prudish Beatrice!" he said, sounding exasperated.

Affronted, I charged after him, as he ran down the corridor. I felt giddy, and in that dead mansion, I felt alive.