Chapter 29

"You sure they're open this early?"

Clara stared out the window at the twisting industrial complex. Before she and Nicholas had started on the drive, she was sure she remembered where the storage facility had been located. Now that they were on the way, though, she realized how much she underestimated the repetitiveness of the area.

She turned to answer Nicholas. "I looked it up online," she said. "The place never closes. That's why they have a passcode system."

Nicholas took his eyes off the road and looked at her for a moment. "I wouldn't mind if we just headed to the bookstore now," he said. "That errand is less likely to make you lose your job. Or get us arrested."

Clara pointed to a side street. "Over there," she said. "It's at the end of this road."

Nicholas took the turn. As they passed an old shipping company, the storage facility popped into view.

"That's the place," Clara said.

Nicholas turned into the entrance and stopped in front of the gate. Clara got out of the car.

She held her hand over the keypad and paused, looking up.

"I thought you said you remembered it," Nicholas called out.

Clara glared at him. "It's coming to me..."

She pushed the first number – a seven. And as soon as she did that, the eight came to her. And then the three, then the one.

Nicholas gave her a concerned look – he was staring at something behind her. Clara turned and through the gate she saw the storage facility's manager. He stood next to a dinged-up golf cart outside the front office.

She ignored him and pressed the Enter key. The gate began sliding open.

Clara walked back toward Nicholas' car, but the manager called out behind her.

"You need help with something?" Clara bit her lip before turning to face the manager.

"I'm sorry!" she said, her voice higher than its usual pitch. "I've only been here once before with my boss. He gave me the code but I almost forgot it!"

The manager looked Clara over and smiled. "Oh, that's fine," he said. "I just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything I could do for you."

"Actually," Clara said, smiling and giving him a flirty look, "I left the key for our unit back at the office. I really don't want to tell my boss... do you have an extra?"

The manager looked at Nicholas, who stared back at him. He took two steps forward, blocking Nicholas' view of Clara.

"Yeah," he said. "I can do that for you, honey. Let me go get it."

Clara's stomach turned but she kept her smile in place. "Thank you!" she said. "You don't know how much I appreciate this!"

The storage facility manager stepped even closer to her. "Happy to help," he said in a greasy voice. Clara could smell baloney on his breath.

"Great!" said Clara, stepping quickly into the car. "We'll meet you at the unit. It's G-51." She couldn't wait to get away from him and his meaty stench.

She pulled the door shut, relaxing as she watched the manager head back into his office.

Nicholas stared at her in disbelief.

"What?" she asked.

"You," he said. "I didn't know you could do... that."

"Hey," Clara said, laying a hand on Nicholas' leg in mock-flirtation. "I can warm it up when I need to." She fluttered her eyes for full effect. "Now drive," she added, reverting to her normal voice.