Guilt

It was afternoon, and Alice decided to ring the doctor, to set up an appointment. She was still at Fps, which was why she wanted to make the call whilst she was still there. She didn't want Betty to overhear the conversation. Alice dialled a number and sat down at the kitchen table. She was wearing nothing else but Fps flannel. Her hair was messy and her face was bare.
"Yes, hello, is this dr brown?"
Alice carried on the conversation, however she didn't notice FP come around the corner. She smiled as she saw him. She took the phone away from her ear and held it to her chest.
"FP, they have a free appointment in an hour?"
Fp grinned and nodded.
"Yes, that's fine. Thank you very much"
Alice hung up the phone, and got up from the table. She practically leaped into Fps arms and he swung her around. He placed her back down and kissed her on the lips.
"I hate to ruin our little moment, but we need to get ready if our appointment is in an hour" FP said laughing as he looked Alice up and down. She noticed the way he was looking at her.
"Says you!" She joked.
Fp was wearing a T shirt and boxers. They grinned and headed into the bathroom to get ready.
*
One hour later, FP and Alice found themselves in the waiting room at the local hospital. Alice felt nervous all of a sudden. The last time she was here, was sixteen years ago, when she found out she was pregnant with betty.
Suddenly a door opened and a nurse came out.
"Alice smith"
Fp gave Alice an odd look. She hadn't told him she changed her name back to her maiden name.
"Did I not tell you?" Alice chuckled as she took his hand. They followed the nurse into a small room.
"Now, we have to fill out a form first. Just some background information"
"Okay" Alice said nervously.
"Well then, let's get started" the nurse smiled
"First, your Full name and age."
"Alice smith, and I'm 42 years old."
"Okay, and I'm assuming this isn't your first pregnancy?"
"No.. it's my fifth. Although I miss carried once" she noticed FP giving her a puzzled look. Alice hadn't told anyone about her miscarriage. It was after Polly was born.
"And how old are your other children?"
"24, 18 and 16"
The nurse looked up at FP.
"And I'm right in assuming you are the father?"
"Yes that's right"
"Well then, that's all we need to know." She handed Alice a clipboard.
"This is just some medical information that needs confirming, the doctor will be in in a minute"
The nurse left the room, leaving Alice and Fp alone.
"You had a miscarriage Ali?"
"Yeah, it was years ago though"
"What happened?"
"It was after Hal and I had a massive argument. It put too much stress on the baby"
"I'm sorry Alice.."
"Don't worry about it, it's in the past" she smiled.
She finished filling out the information, and just as she did, the doctor came in.
"Hello, I'm Dr. Brown"
"It's nice to meet you"
He instructed Alice to lay down in the chair, and lift up her top. Fp stood next to her and clutched her hand. The doctor turned on a Maschine and applied a cold substance onto her stomach.
"So as you can see," he said pointing to the screen," this is your baby, and by the looks of it, you are around 6-8 weeks pregnant" Alice and Fp looked at each other and smiled. They both knew it happened that night at the white wrym. They focused back on the screen. The doctor continued to inform them on what not to do, and the general information. They finished up and received the sonogram. Alice looked at it in awe. She couldn't believe it.
*
They made their way out of the hospital, and headed to the car. Alice tucked the sonogram into her bag, along with her test results. She fumbled around in her bag looking for her phone. She found it and turned it on to see a missed call from Betty. She immediately rung back.
"Betty, is everything ok?"
"Yep, I just wanted to let you know that Polly is her me with the twins. Jugheads here to lo by the way"
"I was just on my way back honey, I'll be there in 5"
She turned off her phone and turned to FP.
"Why was that about?"
"Pollys home. The twins are there too"
"That's great. Shall I drop you off?"
"Yeah, but you should come too. Jugheads there"
"Well in that case.."
The two jumped into the car and headed off to Alice's house. They were greeted at the door by chic.
"Hey Mom, hey d-" chic realised his mistake
"Hey guys" he smiled. Fp and Alice laughed at their son, quickly following him inside. They walked into the front room to see Polly and her twins. Betty and jughead were also there. They sat next to each other, holding hands. The sight made Alice feel a bit guilty, but she quickly turned her attention to Polly.
"Oh Polly, I'm so glad you're back!" She pulled Polly into a hug.
"May I?" Alice asked before picking up her grandson. She cradled him in her arms. Polly picked up the other twin and sat down next to Betty and jughead. Chic also sat down in a chair next to Polly. He watched as his parents gazed at the baby. Alice gasped gently making cute little noises to make the baby laugh. Fp put his arm around her and tickled the baby gently. They got so carried away, that they didn't seem to notice everyone was staring at them. Polly was just happy to see her mother getting to meet the twins, however Betty was growing suspicious. After finding out about chic, she was definitely on to something. She had decided not to mention anything just yet. She didn't have Enough facts yet, and she didn't want to jump to any conclusions. She did however notice her mother shed a tear.
"Mom, are you ok?" Betty asked worriedly.
"I'm fine Betty. It's just I'm so proud of you, Polly" she smiled, trying to cover up the truth. The truth being, she regretted giving chic up for adoption. She knew in that moment, that that could've been her FP and chic. Fp knew what was up.
"Alice, can we talk quickly"
She nodded and the two, along with the baby, made their way into the hallway.
"Are you okay?"
"I was just thinking about chic. How that could've been us years ago."
"Hey, it ok. I know we missed out on a lot, but at least he's here now"
"True.."
"And just look on the bright side, this will be us in a few months time too."
They shared a smile before they heard the phone ring.
"Shit! That's propably Dr. Brown. He said he'd call later today"
They walked back into the front room to find Betty and Polly playing with the baby, and chic who had just gotten off the phone with the doctor...