Chapter 19

Sighing contentedly to myself, I reached out and grasped the mug Maggie was offering me, snuggling into the back of the couch.  Rome was seated beside me, sipping on his own warm cup of hot chocolate.  Robert did the same, while doing so in his chair, looking slightly more pale than usual.

I had already opened all my presents and went through the whole act of pretending that I actually believed Santa had come and given me all of the gifts sitting under the tree.  Robert and Maggie knew better than to actually believe me, but it was much more fun to believe in the joy and perfectness of there actually being a Santa Claus.

“Only 365 days left,” I announced suddenly, getting everyone’s attention.  Maggie rolled her eyes and walked back into the kitchen, and I could smell that she was starting breakfast.  I turned to Rome to start a conversation with him, but instead froze, eyes widening.

Rome’s birthday was tomorrow.  And I hadn’t gotten him anything.

Usually, instead of getting him a Christmas present and a birthday present, I just used his birthday as an excuse to give everything I got him then, to save me trouble.  But that was a lie.  It usually bought me time, because even though Rome’s birthday occurred every year on the same date, I always forgot.  And waited until the last minute to get him something.

“What?”  Rome questioned, obviously taking notice of my shocked face.  Clearing my throat, I plastered a smile onto my face, telling myself I could go get him something later today.

“Nothing.”  I widened my smile exaggeratedly, and Rome chuckled under his breath and rolled his eyes.  Trying to hold back a sigh of relief, I thought of something to say.  “I’m thinking that maybe you should hook me up to meet Jared Leto.  You know, since I own half of our business and all, and I’m about three hundred times more important—”

“I beg your pardon?”  Rome said, raising an eyebrow.  I watched him closely, seeing the hint of amusement at his lips, and the slight crinkle of his tan skin beside his eyes.  Those lips that I got the privilege of kissing, and those eyes that revealed slight flecks of gold at close proximity.  Feeling my body begin to heat up, I shrugged, turning my face away before Rome could catch on to my thoughts.  He seemed to be too good at that lately.

“Oh… just, nothing,” I teased, clearing my throat.  Rome laughed through his nose, and I risked a glance in his direction.

“You think you’re more important than me?  Whose name is first?  Madden&Corbin Company?  Oh that’s right… that would be mine,” Rome said smugly.  I grinned back sarcastically, and then stuck my tongue out at him when he held my gaze for longer than what was normal.

“Oh, quit fighting, you two.  It’s very tiresome,” Maggie said as she entered the living room again, this time to bring out napkins.  We always ate breakfast in the living room on Christmas morning, so we could look at the small Christmas tree set up in the living room before we had to take it down.

“You’re tiresome!”  I quipped childishly, staring at Maggie as she didn’t even spare me a glance, and just turned back around and head towards the kitchen.  “Ouch.  Ignored…,” I muttered, feigning a look of hurt.

“I need to go shopping today,” Rome said from beside me in a conversational tone, and I couldn’t even stifle the disbelieving snort that escaped through my throat.

“You so sounded gay just then.”  Rome’s eyes narrowed considerably, until his facial features relaxed into that of a smug expression.

“Dear Julie, you of all people should know that I’m not gay.”  Startled, I choked on some of the hot cocoa I had just drunk.  I held the drink away from me, in hopes that my coughing wouldn’t shake the cup and spill it everywhere.  Rome, laughing, took my cup while I had a coughing fit.